Cape Cod Off-Season

michael j hoffman

<p>Thinking of doing a weekend photo trip to Cape Cod around the end of January or beginning of February. yes, I know it will be cold in a maritime-miserable way. I still want to go.</p>

<p>Can anyone suggest a good place to stay, and offer tips on year-round restaurants and attractions? Which towns and villages are a must-see? I'd like to capture some of those dramatic New England winter skies, local architecture, and also some life-around-town documentary type images.</p>

<p>Michael J Hoffman</p>

<p>Been there, done that, then. <br>

One of the nice things about Cape Cod in the off-season is that you can always find a place to park. Lots of them.<br>

Our usual circuit on the Cape involves Rt. 6A between Sandwich and Orleans, Chatham, and up towards P'Town. Saying it differently, we don't do Rt. 28 west of Chatham. <br>

Things are much slower in the winter. Some restaurants are only open on weekends. It can still be a nice visit, but you may have to wrok harder at it. <br>

It does get cold - and the breeze can be daunting. But the photographic opportunities can be interesting. You can easily access beaches that are jammed during the summer, and the surf is more dramatic in the winter. Don't overlook Rock Harbor (Orleans) - very interesting in the winter.<br>

Restaurants: The Chatham Squire is always nice and offers some very good, basic New England offerings. This place is very popular with the folks who live in Chatham. In Orleans, there is the Land Ho. Another place that is extremely popular with local folks, and offers some great seafood. In Provincetown, our favorite (Ross's Grill) is only open on weekends. The Daniel Webster Inn in Sandwich is always good.<br>

Where to stay: We almost always do a condo exchange. Our favorite is Brewster Green. There are more condo's in the Falmouth area, but that's quite a bit out of our normal orbit.</p>

<p>I frequently visit the Cape year round. Typically, the western or "upper" cape area close to the bridges has more year-round residents and thus more things open year round. Sandwich has a few decent restaurants and places to stay. I would check out the Daniel Webster Inn and the Belfry Inne across the street for accomodations (Belfry also has a nice menu). You could use that as a base to explore the lovely Sandwich boardwalk and beach.<br>

If you're heading out further, Chatham and Provincetown are your best bets, especially for ocean scenics. The Queen Anne Inne (Chatham) has a wonderful restaurant but I don't know if it's open year round. There is a nice little state park out that way (can't remember the name offhand) but I've never been there in the winter time. <br>

Architecturally, the eastern or "lower" cape is far less interesting. Many of the towns are seaside tourist communities that are not aesthetically pleasing. Provincetown and Chatham are notable exceptions, however. </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>You've been given some answers for Sandwich. For less high end dining than the Belfry and Daniel Webster, try the British Beer company (busy even during off season) for pizza, burgers, ribs, fish, chicken, meals with entree and veg. The BeeHive on RTE 6A in East Sandwich has good lunches and dinners--always good specials beside the regular menu. Marshland in Sandwich is open for breakfast, lunch and supper--good homemade eats, booths and counter, informal, another local hangout.<br>

For photography: walk around the old town, lots of interesting architecture. Go down to the boardwalk at high and low tide for marsh pictures. There is a parking lot at both ends. Park at the marina be the canal. Good sunrise and set opportunities. If the wind is not blowing too miserably, walk along the service road by the canal--only foot or bike traffic (early am might even see my 87 year old father riding his bike along.) Drive along the road to the Bourne bridge and park down at the back of the Gallo Ice rink for a way down to the service road which will take you to a good view of the Bourne bridge and sunset. Lots of nature walking trails take you out to vistas of marsh, cranberry bogs, or dunes. The cranberry bogs are deep wine red this time of year. Some will be flooded, but if they are bare, they make great shots. For cranberry bogs, take 28A along Buzzards Bay (the body of water, not the town). In Falmouth, visit Nobska light. Parking and lots of different angles.<br>

As already mentioned, Rte 6A from Sandwich downCape has lots of photo ops. Get off and explore some of the backroads. Old County road in East Sandwich has views of old farmhouses, ponds, and cranberry bogs. In Dennis a small detour from 6A will take you to Scargo tower.<br>

Ron, yes the Daniel Webster is still there; however, it is not the same one at which you dined in 1969. The old one burned shortly after and a new one, with up to date rooms and still good food arose from the ashes. The Earl of Sandwich still stands.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>I realise you've probably already gone, but I can't recommend enough traveling to some of the nude/alternative beaches during the off-season because they look absolutely untouched by man. They are completely empty and secluded making some great B&W landscapes.</p>