Iceland in September

brien_szabo

<p>I am thinking about planning a trip to Iceland in September 2009. Several reasons - One being that it isn't the high tourist season. Two, some rates will hopefully be a little cheaper. Three, Daylight will be closer to what I'm used to, yet still (hopefully) good enough to do a lot of shooting. Four - a chance of seeing and shooting The Aurora Borealis.<br>

We will have anywhere between 7 and 10 days. We have a time-share in Reykjavik and will make that our base for the most part. From various reading, the southern coast can offer the best shooting opportunities. But the Northwest region looks very intriguing as well and I would like to explore that some also. We will rent a 4WD. Is the northwest really worth the adventure and how is the driving through that region - any ideas on how long of a drive from Reykjavik to Isafjordur? <br>

Any and all info and helpful hints would be appreciated. The notion of travelling the Ring Road has been ruled out for this trip as we would like to just concentrate on a few areas that we can travel in a relaxed manner and soak it all up as much as we can.<br>

Also - Is September a very rainy month or is it really just a crap shoot?<br>

Thanks </p>

<p>If you can, try and overnight in Landmannalaugar. It is a really unique landscape and was my favorite place in Iceland. Also, Skaftafell is also a beautiful area. I would skip Geysir, it was underwhelming. <br>

Iceland is one of my favorite trips I've ever taken. You will be spening a lot less than I did, though!<br>

Enjoy it!</p>

<p>I just did a photo tour in July with Rod Planck. We went from Reykjavik up the western side and explored the fjords there. Hellnar and Arnarstapi were very nice with good birds, lighthouses and landscape. A great spot for puffins is Latrabjarg - the puffins, murres and razorbills are not hunted and can come quite close. On the southern coast are lots of watefalls. One interesting place we went was Ingolfshofdi - we were taken out on a tractor with trailer to a headland where we saw lots of birds including the above plus skuas with chicks. All the roads we were on were good if narrow. The inland around Landmannalauger has wonderful scenery, but might be a bit long to get to because the inland roads are much rougher and slower to travel. I've posted some of my trip pictures here on photo.net. Have a great trip, its a wonderful country, and it sounds like their economy could use a little help. Steve</p>

<p>I've photographed in Iceland. You probably don't want to hear this, but in my view, and taking into account the roads and geographical distribution of the areas of photographic interest, you will not be optimising your opportunity by staying in Reykjavik and having to drive back and forth every day. You'll waste just about all the early and evening light and indeed there might not be any great point hiring a vehicle because just about everywhere decent reachable on a day trip from Reykjavik is covered by 4wd bus trips and they're far better at getting across the fords than you will be. IMO a day trip to Landmannalaugar for example would be out of the question.</p>

<p>Iceland is as cheap right now as its ever going to be. Its the time to do it as well as it can be done, and I'm afraid that isn't basing yourself in Reykjavik.</p>

<p>We don't have to totally base ourselves in Reykjavik but being my wife isn't going to want to do everything for photography purposes, I figured - after reading some travel books - that I can hit a few spots via Reykjavik and then spend another 2 to 4 nights elsewhere (depending on how many days we go for). That's why I was asking about different regions and such. But I know my wife and I are going to want to enjoy a day or two just taking in local flavor, dinning out, catch some sort of show if possible, go dancing - get into the culture of the people as well. As much as I like shooting nature, I enjoy shooting culture to or even just being in the culture. </p>

<p>But I'm just trying to weigh all my options so that when we decide to stay elsewhere, I have the best information to go on, on where to stay.</p>

<p>And thanks to all those who have replied so far.</p>

<p>Brien, if you stay in Reykjavik, you can easily cover the nearby spots such as the Geysir, Gulfoss and Reykjanes peninsula by car. For other, and probably more photogenic, locations (Jokurlsarlon, Myvatn, Snaefelsnes to name a few) - you will need to stay out of town.<br />Western fjords are definitely worth it - fantastic place for landscape photography. It is also great place to photograph puffins, although in September, they might be away on the sea. If you go northwest, consider taking the Baldur ferry. In general, driving around western fjords is ok.<br />I also recommend driving the ring route (Road 1) – many nice spots to see all along. Have a great trip.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Brien,<br>

I did some hiking in the west fjords a couple of years ago, specifically on the Hornstrandir peninsula - and the area is really beautiful, so well worth a visit. In addition, the west coast down to Reykjavik is also great for photography - great light and dramatic colours. Last year I went to the east fjords - also gorgeous - it was my 4th trip to Iceland - and I still never tire of it<br>

However, as some of the other posters have indicated the west fjords are not day trip territory from Reykjavik. With limited time, If you are considering driving to Isafjordur or Bolungarvik, then I would suggest breaking the trip by spending a night in for instance Stykkisholmur on the Snaefellsnes peninsula. My experience is that driving from A-B in Iceland usually takes a lot longer than you expect - because you'll be stopping a lot to take photos.<br>

Similarly, if you want to do some of the sights along the south coast I would suggest staying overnight in somewhere like Kirkubaejarklauster or even in Hofn. That will give you more time to explore some of the great locations like Jokulsarlon, Skaftafell etc.<br>

As you are planning to go in September one event that might be worth thinking about is the annual sheep round up which will likely begin in September in certain areas. Here's a link to a list of places and days from 2008 in the North West region <a href="http://www.northwest.is/1vita.asp?singleNews=1214">http://www.northwest.is/1vita.asp?singleNews=1214</a> - I'm assuming timings in 2009 will not differ too much. I've never seen it myself - but I've been told its amazing to see.<br>

Whatever you do - you won't be disappointed - so have fun<br>

Martin</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Hello, im also planning a trip to iceland, with my girlfriend, we are a young couple from Venezuela and we've been to iceland on september 2007, now we are hopefully coming back on Septh. 2009, in 2007 we traveled to Geysir, and the south all the way until Jokulsarlon, everything was great.<br>

We stayed 10 days, 4-5 days traveling south and 5 days in Reykjavik, the rain was like this:<br>

Day 1- Reykjavik: A little rain (not much, little bit)<br>

Day 2- Reykjavik: Rain - Moderate - Most of the day and a lot at night<br>

Day 3- Reykjavik and Tour to Caves neer blue lagoon: Not very much rain, just a little bit<br>

Day 4: Reykjavik and Tour to Glacier on south: First a little rain, in the glacier it was very rainy<br>

Day 5: Traveling to Geysir, golden circle, and Hella : Not rain at all - sunny and great<br>

Day 6: Traveling to Jokulsarlon and south shore (Lots of rain, all day long)<br>

Day 7: Around Skogar - Moderate rain. not much<br>

Day 8: Back to Reykjavik: Not rain at all<br>

Day 9: Reykjavik: No rain at all</p>

<p>This time im planning to rent a car and drive all the way around iceland, and back to reykjavik, any information you need: enigmatechnology@gmail.com , also, the best rates on 4WD for iceland you can find it on autoeurope.com (i've compared with avis and hertz), we had no luck with aurora borealis on early september last time, we spend a night on klaustur hotel and on ranga hotel, (south), but no luck. Let's hope this time we have better luck hehe</p>

<p> </p>