nikon to canon mount

matt_m__toronto_

<p>anyone have any bad luck with the cheap chinese nikon to canon lens mount rings found on ebay?</p>

<p>just got off the phone with the local camera store, they can order in a novaflex mount for 279 bucks, but the guy that i was talking to said he purchased his mount off ebay for 12 bucks and said it's worked fine for him. my plan is to use nikon mf lenses with mk2...</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>I have the cheap chinese version, no focus confirmation etc, works fine.</p>

<p>BEWARE, using older Nikkors on a crop EOS dslr is fine but if you have a ff camera, be advised some Nikkors are unsafe and can damage the mirror if ANY part of the rear lens assembly sticks into the body further than the mount plane.<br /> (If anyone has a comprehensive list of the no- nos please link)</p>

<p>I know my 105 2.5 AI-d Nikkor is unsafe for ff and there are others.<br /> You may be well aware of this I just thought I'd mention it as no one told me and luckily I stubbled on the info before I got my 5D.</p>

<p>Be careful of the "shield" on the back of some of the Nikkors. It's aluminum, and you can trim it with a sharp pair of kitchen shears. It sticks out far enough that it can pose a collision risk to the larger full-frame Canon mirrors.</p>

<p>I use the cheap Chinese adapter rings (both Nikkor and M42) and have not had any problem. I'd advise against focus confirm chips, as they can break off of the adapter (especially with wide temperature swings, such as in the bitter cold), and they can cause internal damage. It's rare, but it's happened. A much better solution would be for Canon to stop being so tacky and let us enable focus confirm for manual focus lenses.</p>

<p>A minolta MD to canon EOS adapter would need optics, just like FD to EOS adapters do. The backfocus distance on Minolta lenses is shorter than that of EOS lenses, so they'd have to be mounted with the lens flange <em>inside</em> the body if they didn't have optics.</p>

<p>Without optics you couldn't reach imfinity. I have seen such adapters, but they are not common. I've seen them on eBay with optics for about $50. I suspect that like the FD adapters, the optics significantly degrade lens performance.</p>

<p>The more expensive Nikon>EOS adapters are probably easier to switch from one lens to another, but the cheap ones are so cheap that I just buy one for each lens that I regularly use.</p>

<p>I have a non-AI 105mm f/2.5 and have no problem at all in mounting it on FF film EOS cameras. No part of it extends back further than the mount adapter itself.</p>

<p>In any case, if you are buying Nikon lenses, it usually makes sense to get the non-AI versions which are cheaper and work just fine as stop-down lenses on Canons.</p>

<p>Hey JDM, what vintage 105 do you have?<br>

I have the Nikkor-P Auto version. See the black rear of the mount. I don 't have the adapter mounted here but it protrudes into the body past the adapter when mounted and as I understand it, it could hit the mirror on a FF. I've never tried it.</p>

<p>Bruce, I have the Nikkor 105/2.5 and the 5D. The shield did protrude far enough that it made me nervous, so I trimmed it. I touched up the paint afterwards with a sharpie. I guesstimated that nothing should protrude farther than approx. 1 mm behind the rear end of the adapter, based on a mirror binding issue I had with another lens. It sounds horrible to take a pair of kitchen shears to your Nikkor, but if they're sharp, and if you're careful, it's a fast, precise, and harmless modification. Obviously turn the focus as close up as possible before trimming. The part I had to trim was the 3/4" - 1" or so that most closely faces the camera in your photo. I can't make out the details well enough, but it may have already been trimmed by someone. This trimming made all lens parts flush with the backside of the adapter at infinity.</p>

<p>Sarah,</p>

<p>Thanks for the info.</p>

<p>I'm wondering what the function of that extra metal is anyway because it seems it doesn't do anything except maybe make the entire rear barrel section more rigid.</p>

<p>The 105 is legendary in Nikkorville so I really want to use this on my 5D.</p>

<p>Anyone else up on these mods? ? ?</p>

<p>Here is my non-AI Nikkor-P Auto type A lens. As the pictures show, on this model at least the rear lens flange does not extend past the N>E mount adapter itself. I don't as yet have a FF EOS digital camera, but the lens works fine on the EOS film cameras I have.<br>

Added in (edit)<br /> Sorry, was paying too much attention to the size and inadvertently copied the second picture instead of moving it, but I think the point is shown anyway.</p><div>00Rt4k-100215584.jpg.976614089ce78222b49a9f5bb7fbb479.jpg</div>

<p>Interesting...</p>

<p>seems you have a version prior to mine from the late 50's-early 60's? ? ?</p>

<p>Mine does not have the silver/chrome looking ring where the filter attaches and has the wider non rubber scalloped focus ring so I know it is roughly 1971-73 pre multicoated version according to this excellent resource.<br>

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html</p>

<p>Yes, according to my not-always reliable source, Hillebrand and Hauschild's <em>Nikon Compendium</em> , the lenses with the silver filter ring are first, the later black filter ring being "Type C" and multicoated.<br /> According to them (1993:132):</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"... the Nikkor 105mm,f/2.5, can rightfully be called a Nikon legend, and many photographers consider it to be the finest lens Nikon has ever produced. The first design from 1959 was modified slightly in 1970, and the present version still belongs to the best-sellers in the Nikon programme today. With its five elements it displays a performance that places it among the topclass in terms of contrast and freedom of vignetting."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I do still shoot with my Nikon film cameras, but I confess that this was one of two Nikon lenses (the other being a 500mm Reflex Nikkor) that I have bought primarily to use on my Canon digital cameras.</p>