So very Frustrated... D200 Repair

samantha_bender

Wow, this discussion is getting fairly off topic and unfortunately heated.

I would classify the D200 as a pro-sumer DSLR, no doubt used by a lot of professional photographers. I have seen some pros shooting weddings with even the D70. Regardless, any DSLR is supposed to function out of the box, but a few percent of failure rate is not unusual for any product. And unless you are an NPS member, it is typical to take 2 weeks or so to get something fixed. What is unfortunate is that Samantha's D200 is now back for its 2nd warranty repair.

A separate issue is pro-sumer grade vs. pro grade. Recently I talked to some friends about the F100. He saw one taken totally apart at a local repair shop. It turns out that the F100 has a lot of critical part in plastic. Plastic is not necessarily bad, and that is why the F100 is considerably lighter than pro bodies such as the F5 and F6. For most people, the F100 is durable enough. However, there is still a clear different. For some of us who demand the best durability, the true pro bodies such as the F4, F5, F6, D1 and D2 are the only way to go, and of course you pay for the durability (unless e.g. you happen to catch the D2H fire sale).

A D2x or a later purchase is no guarantee against problems. I bought a D2X in NOV/DEC -- took it to Ukraine and found that in particular shots of a streetcar (passing behind a kissing couple), lighted at night by DC current overhead line current passing by, all nine shots were severly banded -- streetcar/tram only -- all three cars.

That camera had been out for about six months when I bought it, and it showed no other banding problems. For other reasons it went back to Nikon USA, so I haven't had a chance to see if the problem is replicable (Nikon wants to see the EXIF info and frames for study), and during the repair (for other reasons -- my fault) they installed new firmware, and I haven't seen if the problem is replicable though the place I took the photo is three 'quartos' (giant blocks) away from where I am now.

I have two D200s and no trace of any 'banding' -- both U.S. models and bought right after introduction -- same with focusing problems (one was to replace a D2X as I went on a multi-month trip just as the D2X went in to Nikon U.S.A. immediately before a trip. Any info on joining the NPS program? -- please sent it to me e-mail at my name care of Photo.net, and I'd be more than thankful.

(Nikon reps, last time I sent something in, viewed my Photo.net portfolio on-line while we spoke, and gave me expedited treatment based on my use of Nikon cameras just because of that, but NPS would be helpful).

(I'd make calls about NPS, but I'm 8,000 miles away).

John (Crosley)