It even snows inside; do mistakes make good photo opps?

aplumpton

<p>One of my projects over the past few years has been to restore two old sheds. I got the older of the two restored, but procrastinated on the other, ostensibly because I couldn't track down any old wood beams required for the rotting base plates of the structure. My timber framer helper suggested using new wood beams, yet I hesitated. He left.</p>

<p>My mistake recently turned into a photo opportunity. The sad state of the shed and its shrinking wood plank walls gave the wind free range to wander within as it wished. A blizzard provided the result of the attached photo, which I snapped with a D-Lux-3 at wide angle setting and 400 ISO speed. </p>

<p>Sometimes mistakes are not related to the photographic process, sometimes they are. In either case, the can be entertaining. Have you had the chance to gain from one or more of your errors?</p><div>00Rqpr-99071684.thumb.jpg.335cc77bd8d3c63a9d38943b0a065f40.jpg</div>

<p>Here in Canada (Québec), we consider cold as no more than a state of mind, easily assuaged or comforted with ample sunlight or a glass of "Caribou" (a Quebec Winter Carnival high octane booze, and like Jack Daniels, recommended for consumption in moderation). Actually, the weather was quite warm after this particular snowstorm, a balmy -5 degrees C (21 F ?). </p>

<p>The lighting quite bright outside, but obviously contrasty within. A little tweaking in Photoshop light levels adjustment allowed the shadows to be opened up a bit, but the dynamic range of the D-Lux (a reclothed Panasonic) is quite good and the ability to visualize a histogram and make adjustments on exposure is also a plus. </p>

<p>Today it is a little colder (-18C) for snowshoeing or walking in the village. A few more D-Lux-3 shots this morning of the same (tired) shed, another local house also needing renovation (the red metal roof of the nearby Normandy style church was done a few years ago) and my better half feeding the Blue Jays, woodpeckers and Chickadees in -18C weather. </p><div>00Rr7l-99227584.jpg.df378decf9a7f1f612b9834bf60e918a.jpg</div>

<p>When I shared a studio w/ another painter in Albuquerque many years ago, we had a saying that we cut out from an odd, old art book and put in the window. It said "Failure is simply success on another level that we do not yet understand". I have certainly learned more from my failures than the times when things went "right".</p>

<p>As for the weather, it is something you are either born to or you aren't. I can't live in places where the weather is trying to kill me, but feel a twinge of jealousy toward the tough folks that live Up There.</p>

<p>The last pic is nice.</p>