Where could be the problem ?

Hello everyone,

I decided to ask yours opinions concerning this photo that I

took when I was travelling in Italy, Toscana area. It comes from a

scanned 200 Iso Fuji Superia negative and the lens used was a 28 mm

f/2,8 Tokina RMS. I have a 13 x 18 cm paper printed issue that seems

to be ok, or maybe not... in fact, I do have my doubts about it.

I think the grainy aspect is exaggerated even for 200 Iso and

the focusing is not very clear. What is yours opinions ?

Thank you.

J.A.

Although I am not crazy about most ASA 200 films, and the Tokina Lens might not be the sharpest lens in the world, I do not where they day anything to do with the way the photo turned out. I think you shot the photo at a time where the light was extremely flat, with no shadows or modeling of the building, and no sky.

When I took this photo the sky was covered and a short little rain stopped several minutes before. There are no shadows, the sun radiation remains very diffuse because of the white - grey clouds, badly reproduced on the photo.

J.A.

In addition to dull lighting, it's possible that the bright sky fooled your camera's meter into underexposing the building and foreground. The machine that made the print then compensated for the underexposure and "blew out" the sky. Underexposure is the surest way to get grainy, flat images on any color negative film.

Ted - was just about to offer the same advice. Underexposure due to the bright sky and automatic metering, made up for in the printing. The example provided just has that grainy low-contrast look about it.

JA - pull the negative itself and look at it. Is it lighter than the majority of the rest of the frames on the same roll? If so, it's likely that the brightness of the overcast sky threw off your metering.