Anybody encountered something like this????

steve_myaskovsky

There is something weird going on with D200's and SB800/600's. My SB600 will do the same thing on my D200 for the first 15-30 minutes that I'm using it, and then it goes away. I've also read of several other people having this problem.

All the contacts are clean on the flash and body. Other flahses don't do it on the D200 and the SB600 doesn't do it on other bodies. It also doesn't happen if I'm using the SC17 cord between the flash and body. This indicates to me an overly sensitive circuit in the camera, since the additional resistance, capacitance or inductance of the SC17 damps out some little spike that triggers the flash.

It doesn't seem to bother anything except if you're about to take a shot, and the flash just fired on its own, it may not be fully recycled.

I've actually had this happen with my D100 and SB-80 -- flash starts firing over and over for no obvious reason. One time I had to pull the batteries to get it to stop (on/off switch wouldn't work). Never encountered this with any other camera/flash combination.

Marc

Hey Steve,

On the right hand side on the camera, next to the lens, there are 2 buttons on the d2x, probably the same with the d200. one is depth of field, the bottom one will actually fire the strobe if you hit it. Check it out and see if your finger might be slightly hitting that button while holding the camera.

1. Is it bracket mounted or mounted directly on the camera?

2. What lens do you have on the camera when this happens? We've had the issue pop up when a 70-200 f2.8 was mounted on a D70 and then on a tripod without using the tripod collar. We used the tripod socket on the camera. We found that false flash firings were somehow tied to lens mount stress. Once we used the tripod collar to relieve stress on the tripod mount, no more issues.

3. Is your SB800 flash mounted firmly in place and locked in the maximum forward position so the dual contact pins are connecting to the metal recepticles on the front of your flash shoe? We've had it fire when it was loose and was jiggling on those pins.

I believe you can set your camera so that it takes a picture on its own if a subject appears at a particular focus point, such as the finish line of a race. Of course, the camera cannot be in standby or be off. Could that be occurring?