What to do after taking the pictures?

eyob_kidanmariam

<p>Let me confess........ I am not very good with Photoshop, and I will need to make a decision as soon as possible. Do you suggest that I take a class, learn, and edit the pictures I shoot, OR have someone do the post processing. If it is the latter, who is best to do this? Could you please provide me with the website for the business who is doing post processing. I am also leaning towards outsourcing the post processing for two reasons. one, I have a wedding scheduled, and I am not sure if I will be able to edit the photos to the level I want them due to the learning curve. Second, my photography business right now is part time, and I am not sure if I have sufficient time to do that.<br>

In either case, your input is very important; therefore, please let me know what you think. Thank you.</p>

<p>Eyob, I suggest two things. For now, find someone either locally or online who is skilled in post-producing images for photographers, and get them to handle things initially. Running an ad on Craigslist will get you a number of folks of various skill levels, but you're sure to find someone who wants to make some extra money with their skills, and who has the time. Be sure they don't go overboard with things and "whore up" your pictures with too many enhancements.</p>

<p>Second, I would start researching the best way to learn these programs yourself, and do some hands-on training. There are many website dedicated to these programs that you can learn from, and even some training discs and courses you can buy. Even the person you use to post-produce the photos could probably teach you a lot. There are a number of programs you could learn to post produce your images, and you should research them. Lightroom is the most popular, but it's not the only one out there. I use ACDSee Pro, which is half the cost, and to me, is easier to learn, easier to use, etc. Whatever you do, get some training in this, because it will continue to be an important skill.</p>

<p>Most of us use Photoshop along with a workflow tool, like Lightroom, Capture, ACDsee, iPhoto, or some other program. I only use Photoshop for critical retouching.</p>

<p>I've used Colorati in the past for post production. They are great.<br>

I do most of my own editing using Lightroom and only Photoshop for major edits, or special effects.<br>

But I do agree with what has already been stated, you should have your post-production workflow in place before booking weddings. Best wishes!</p>

<p>Eyob,</p>

<p>You will definitely need to learn the basics of post processing your images. You can start with Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 and work from there. There are some good books by Scott Kelby that will make the transition easy. You do not need to read the whole book, only the areas needed to correct your images. </p>

<p>I am not sure what your level of photography is, however, if you are having trouble with exposure in low light or fast pace situations, then you will need a program that allows you to adjust the levels in your highlights, shadows, and midrange areas of your photos. You will need a certain degree of sharpening, and you will need a crop tool. You will also need some form of noise reduction. These basic post processing skills can be learned in a few weeks tops.</p>

<p>Basically, if your photography skills are high and your post processing skills are low, then you may be able to get away with the basics. If your photography skills are low, then you will need to outsource quickly. </p>

<p>Now, I am wondering what you did prior to booking this wedding and what portfolio you showed your clients? I hope you explained your limitations prior to booking. If your first client is a friend or family member, then you may be o.k., if your client is not a relative, then you need to be careful about overstating your capabilities. </p>

<p>Maybe ask a local photographer to help you learn photoshop. The problem with classes is the instuctor may not be teaching for photographers, but more for graphic art designers. I think a few private lessons instead of classes would get you going at a faster rate.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Pull 10 random wedding photographer websites out of the air and you can usually tell at a glance who has PS skills. Your clients will notice the difference in your images and you will sell more prints once they understand that post-processing is as important as the shooting. I recently photographed a beach wedding in St. Petersburg and the couple were thrilled when I removed all the people from the beach but them. <a href="http://www.boorayperry.com">www.boorayperry.com</a></p>