Advertising? The Knot / Wedding Channel ? Elsewhere?

anna_p.2

<p>If you live in a small enough town, miles and miles far away from the next nearest town, and where you're the only photographer, and the only other people that live in said small town are the future bride and her groom, I still doubt that the Knot would bring you any business.</p>

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Steve,<br /> <br /> Are you using this url for your google adwords?<br /> <br /> http://shovland.home.mindspring.com/<br /> <br /> If so, you are paying more than you should. I used the Google website analysis tool and they find these phrases relevant on your current domain.<br /> <br /> new york city real estate<br /> employment application form<br /> stuffit download<br /> birmingham real estate<br /> dropstuff<br /> international employment<br /> form 1003<br /> business loan application<br /> online conference registration<br /> <br /> I recommend buying your own domain...www.stevehovland.com or stevehovlandphotos.com or<br /> <br /> STEVEHOVLAND.COM is available! I checked godaddy and its available.It will cost you $9.99<br /> <br /> Sample of keywords you might use in your adwords account. I would take the recommended bid and cut and half..set at exact/phrase match. These may not all apply.<br /> wedding portraits<br /> california weddings<br /> san francisco wedding photographer<br /> san francisco weddings<br /> bay area wedding photographer<br /> san francisco wedding photography<br /> bay area photographer<br /> san francisco to napa valley<br /> bay area wedding photography<br /> san jose photographer<br /> bay area wedding locations<br /> black and white wedding pictures<br /> wedding photographer gallery<br /> san jose photography<br /> san francisco portrait photographer<br /> headshot photographers san francisco<br /> sf weddings<br /> fashion photographer san francisco<br /> certified professional photographer<br /> wedding photo san francisco<br /> wedding photo art<br /> santa cruz wedding photography<br /> natural wedding photography<br /> wedding fashion photography<br /> palo alto photography<br /> <br /> Set up conversion tracking and drive visitors to a unique landing page on your site.<br>

Set local targeting for san francisco and outlying cities only.<br>

<br /> Landing page content recommendations..photos/testimonials/packages/contact info/terms of service/privacy policy/aboutus. Clean and Simple is best..Google wants visitors to have a great experience when they land on your page and I expect they will.<br>

<br /> Ad groups should have 2-3 words max with keyword variations like..san fran photographer/san fran photographers/san fran photography in one adgroup<br /> <br /> Before you set up the account use the Adwords tool and select URL and let Google spider your site with the new domain and your unique content. If you dont see the phrase san francisco photographer..you will have to add these keywords in your meta data..title tag, keywords, keyword description and alt tags for images.<br /> <br /> This is a start and would require day to day review to optimize performance... Hopefully this helps. Art</p>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="324">

<tbody>

<tr height="17">

<td width="324" height="17"> </td>

</tr>

<tr height="17">

<td height="17"> </td>

</tr>

<tr height="17">

<td height="17"> </td>

</tr>

<tr height="17">

<td height="17"> </td>

</tr>

<tr height="17">

<td height="17"> </td>

</tr>

<tr height="17">

<td height="17"> </td>

</tr>

<tr height="17">

<td height="17"> </td>

</tr>

<tr height="17">

<td height="17"> </td>

</tr>

<tr height="17">

<td height="17"> </td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>I would bid on many of the phrases and spend an amount that you are comforable spending.<br>

The goal is to build a tight nucleus of keywords that are exactly what you offer for starters..once you build up a solid history with Google, than you can start to expand.<br>

It comes down to ROI...if your sales price is $5000 per shoot..how many inquiries does it take generate one sale.<br>

General conversion rates are approximately 2%.<br>

For each 100 visits, they will convert to a lead..in this case 2 people will ask for a consultation.<br>

How many of those calls will become your customers.<br>

Hope it helps,<br>

Art</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I signed up for the Wedding Wire which is now also directly linked to Martha Steward Weddings.</p>

<p>Not only is it working, most every lead is prequalified, and most clients that have signed have gone for my top end package. 2009 is looking up compared to the past 2 years because of them.</p>

<p>I predict that the Wedding Wire will become the premiere site with-in 2-3 years. A real class act.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Wedding Wire & Project Wedding will be the new sites to take off in the next few years. They have structured their sites to be very user friendly, and to give brides a way to provide vendor reviews in order to help keep the wedding market honest. It's actually free to have a listing on these sites, so I highly recommend everyone make the most of them.</p>

<p>Personally - I do not find any value in the paid advertisements. Advertising is a very overcrowded marketplace and does not come with any inherent trust attached. Personal referrals will always be the best source of promotion. Take care of your clients and they will take care of you.</p>

<p>I've written pretty extensively about how to market yourself, and you're welcome to read more of my thoughts [Moderator Edit: Click on Anne's name and you'll see a link to her blog on her contact page]

<p>Hi Anne,<br>

I think you are right about the marketplace being crowded and there is no inherent trust...paid search is more of an <strong>introduction to a photographer</strong> ..most of the results from paid advertising are centered around people seeking to find <em>more information</em> about a topic and following their own pace of analysis rather than having a message forced on them via traditional advertising..the visitors are actively looking for something and search ads are answering their question..<br>

I think its up to the photographer to instill trust and connect with the person looking for a photographer especially for the wedding day.<br>

Happy Holidays,<br>

Art</p>

<p>The Knot is such a large, cheesy site. They get their hooks in you and then forget about you. If all one is after is low end weddings, then they are the perfect place.<br>

Their business policies are so shady. I was totally dissatisfied in the short time I spent with them. Other wedding photographers that I personally know spend spend spend and get very little play from the Knot.</p>

<p>Steve,<br>

A suggest a few things:<br>

Confirm your email is working on your site<br>

Add adWords conversion tracking to the thank you page.<br>

Create a "free offer" that will help you create a email list...checklists, top strategies for x, top7 angles most photographers miss..etc.<br>

Add Google Analytics tracking script to all pages on your site<br>

How does adWords performance compare to other marketing channels?<br>

What website are you using? did you purchase your own domain?</p>

<p>Thanks Art.<br>

The site we use is buchananhovland.com.<br>

I'll check the other ideas.<br>

I use a simple mailto tag.<br>

I have a friend who does SEO etc for penthouse.com and his interpretation of conversion is "they buy something." So far no sales but these are new efforts :-)<br>

I would say many photographers don't understand "pay to play" in the google world :-)</p>

<p>Hi Steve,<br>

I reviewed your site and you form would have to be converted to an "online form" along with a thank you page.<br>

The adwords conversion script would have to be added to the thank you page.<br>

Do you think a step by step tutorial showing the process would be helpful?<br>

Which process would be the most helpful?<br>

Art</p>

<p>Thanks, Art.<br>

There is no form because I think forms are a barrier to entry. I personally hate it when some site requires me to fill out a form to get more information.<br>

If the mailto tag works then I have everything I need for an initial contact. If you'd like you could test the mailto for me :-)<br>

I make most of my living from programming and I have done sophisticated web programming in the past. My current site is an example of my concept of "radical simplicity."</p>

<p>Hi Steve,<br>

I submitted a test email.<br>

Hopefully you will receive it.<br>

I do think visitors appreciate a clean site with only the core elements.<br>

I didnt see any web analytics script on your pages. Are you reviewing your log file data?<br>

Best regards,<br>

Art</p>

<p>Hi Steve,<br>

Log File data generally includes referral data. Keywords and sites sending traffic to your site.<br>

I use Google Analytics which is probably the best FREE tool.<br>

How many people are visiting your site and exiting? Bounce rate is a key performance metric to study over time.<br>

Art</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well everyone, I did it. I have signed up with The Knot whether it was a smart decision or not I will let you know. After reading through threads I had made up my mind NOT to advertise with them but I ended up giving it a go after a meeting with a photographer in my area who told me that she believed it would be the best bang for my buck (she herself advertises with them). I am new to wedding photography so if The Knot brides cater to lower budget weddings I do fit that bill and in my price range I will be 1 of 3 photographers which could be both good and bad???? Anyway, I am excited, lol. Fingers crossed it works out. Hopefully one day I will make enough money to be able to do a bridal show - which I know are expensive! </p>

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...