Who uses the Paul C. Buff Zeus system?

d_g5

<p>dg, from what I hear, I have no problem w/ the Buff monolights and value for their price. However, as a pack shooter, I think the Zeus is a horrible design. Really, really poorly designed-- almost as if a monolight designer had no idea why someone would use a pack and just created it for extra power.<br>

I've used a 2400ws system outside, and it doesn't over power the sun. In the evening it can be used for a key light, but outside the magic hour it's a fill. A good fill, but a fill.</p>

<p>DG, assuming that you are buying the pack for a fully functional setup, and not for a very specific use, then it lacks flexibility. It has two plugs, 1 channel, and a standard trim control for power. This means, that you can at most put two heads on the pack-- not good, but not really a deal breaker yet.</p>

<p>The real problem is that you also only have a 1:1 and 3:1 ratio setting for the pack. No other pack, other than battery operated ones, have such a limitation. Now, the Zeus is also cheaper than any other pack of that power on the market-- but to me it's just useless as something I'd reach for for most of my shoots.</p>

<p>Let me give some links to a previous discussion about this:<br>

<a href="../photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00QSgz">http://www.photo.net/photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00QSgz</a><br>

<a href="../photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00NX3b">http://www.photo.net/photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00NX3b</a><br>

<a href="../photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00O1U3">http://www.photo.net/photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00O1U3</a> (here's what I was looking for)</p>

<p>I was firing 2400ws off an umbrella, and through a 1/2 stop scrim. I needed a 72" modifier for a car shoot that I was attempting. I'm sure if I was only doing a face shot and had a beauty dish just out of frame, that I could over power the sun. But... then you are bursting a lot of light right near the face too :-)</p>

<p>It's just normally easier to use the light as a fill or accent light, rather than key light. Use the sun, don't try to over power it.</p>

<p>'The real problem is that you also only have a 1:1 and 3:1 ratio setting for the pack."<br /> True. But it is also worth pointing out that the power range for the pack ( like all other packs in it's class there is a single variator that regulates total power output regardless of how many channels the pack has) single head ranges full to power to 5 stops down ( in the case of the 2500 w-s version, that means from 2500 w-s to 19.5 w-s ( you get 19.5 w-s by plugging the single head into Channel B and then dialing the power down to -5 stops.<br>

I mostly use the Zeus for location ortraits and with a single head I almost never have the pack set to anything but the 3:1 split and the head plugged into the B channel and even with a 72x54 Chimera I rarely have the power set above - 2 ( in other words set to about 150 watt-seconds) and I am getting around f/11 at ISO 200 with the softbox around six feet from the person I am photographing.<br>

There are two things I don't like about the Zeus for location work:<br>

1.) The pack design is tall and narrow. I really wish it was shorter and squatter in design. That would be more stable (having said that I've ever pulled a Zeus pack over or had it fall down) and would make packing easier.<br>

2.) The "clamshell" type lid/handle. I sometimes like to hang a pack off of a stand both to get off the ground and to use the otherwise wasted weight as ballast for the stand . While I am sure the hinge and Lexan are strong enough to hold that weight I would much rather have a heavier duty separate handle.<br>

Performance wise ( color temperature range from maximum power to minimum power; real world flash duration (both t0.5 and t0.1); modeling light strength; range of available modifiers ( the Zeus heads are compatible with Balcar's full range of light modifiers as well as the Alien Bees/ White Lightning modifiers + non-OEM modifiers from Chimera , Plume, Photek, etc.) the Zeus system is in the same mid range class as Dyna-Light, Calumet/Bowens; Speedotron Blackline & Profoto Acute 2 & Norman. There are pluses and minuses between each system ( a sample of negatives: as Nathan points out: only two outlets for the Zeus; the inefficiency of Norman gear; a very long flash duration at maximum power for the 2400 w-s Acute 2R ( the price); the weight and size of Speedotron Blackline gear). In lots of real world situations I've used all of the above systems plus a few more over the past few years , all have worked fine within their limits, and all have been frustrating in their own ways.<br>

The next step in quality gets you into spending serious money; Broncolor Grafit; Profoto D4, Pro & and Pro 8; Briese, and the higher end Elinchrom and Hensel gear.<br>

<br /> Pluses to consider with the Zeus: You can also use 2000 w-s capable Dyna-Lite heads (and vice versa the Zeus heads should (I haven't tested this )work on a Dyna-Lite M series pack; the ZRM head (the most versatile ring light on the market today); and the forthcoming wireless Cyber Control system; and frankly, the price.<br>

<br /> For location work take a good hard look at the Dyna-Lite M series gear as well as the Zeus. Right now I think these are the two systems that give you the best bang for the buck.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Dynalite M2000ER Flash Duration at max power 1/700 sec.<br>

If flash duration at max is the cornerstone for making a purchase, you would have to move past the Profoto D4 (Even Profoto advertises the D4 as a still life/portrait pack) and into the 7 and 8 series units. These units were specifically designed for fast recycle times and short flash duration. Of course you are now talking 9-10K per pack..</p>

<p>As for only two head outlets on the Zeus, most Pro Shooters rarely use more than two heads on a pack anyway regardless of the number of outlets unless shooting at extremely low power settings. This is just common practice to reduce recycle times and to keep flash duration at a reasonable level. Nothing worse than to miss a great shot because you are pushing your packs too hard. (Been there, done that)</p>

<p>I personally run 4 Acute 2400's and have not had an issue with flash duration or recycle time. I simply don't max them out, and only run one to two heads each pack. PCB gear is great stuff and a great bang for buck, customer service is excellent. They back up everything they sell. I cut my teeth on PCB gear, both Alien Bees and White Lighnings.</p>

<p>If you buy the Zeus and don't like it, which I doubt, you will always get your money back on Ebay. PCB gear has some of the highest resale value on the market.<br>

Hope this helps..</p>

<p>Tim<br>

http://www.tbennettphotography.com</p>