Used CRT viewsonic?

<p>Sorry, read your question wrong, you're asking about an LCD. The VA912b is a lower resolution LCD monitor that was known for its high refresh rate and excellent color accuracy. Bought one myself but returned it as the screen resolution was too coarse for my taste and bought its bigger brother the VP2030b, which I still use and is an excellent monitor. </p>

<p>Contact the IT or facilities departments of high-tech companies in your area and ask whether they have used graphics quality CRT monitors on hand. I've picked up Sony and Viewsonic CRT monitors free this way. It costs a bit for companies to dispose of old CRTs, because of the leaded glass, so they will accumulate a few before contracting to have them removed. For this reason, companies are sometimes happy to be rid of them, especially smaller companies with more policy flexibility.</p>

<p>You may also find good CRT monitors in thrift stores, but you'll have to sort through a lot of junk.</p>

<p>A good quality CRT monitor may take up a lot of desktop real estate, but it will outperform pretty much any LCD under US$600 (new). That's the low end for eight bit non-TN panel LCDs. Spend the money saved on an inexpensive calibration device, like the ColorVision Spyder. Or, you might borrow a calibrator from time to time from someone to save some money.</p>

<p>Whether you go with a CRT of LCD, expect to calibrate your monitor if you don't want your print provider color correcting for you. It's good practice, even if they do.</p>

<p>I use both LCD and CRT. For now there is no difference in result (for Web and Prints). May be the CRT will not be as accurate as the LCD as time went by...<br>

<br /> In your case, it depends on how old is the CRT... if you can try it first and make an Adjustment Test.. This is to see if all the beams (R, G, B) are still under adjustment range. Once they are out of adjustment range they are not good (I have at work a LaCie II 22" CRT that runs out of adjustment and it's give ugly images)<br>

<br /> 1. MacPro1 with 2 screens: Apple 23" LCD + Viewsonic VX2255wm-4<br /> 2. MacPro2 with 2 screens: LaCie IV 22" CRT + LaCie IV 19" CRT<br /> (Personnally I like the #2 combo better)</p>

<p>Good point, Dan, but I'd like to add a clarification.</p>

<p>It's fair to say that a CRT will not be as stable or repeatable as an LCD over time, but accuracy is a function of (1) calibration and (2) device capability. Still, the stability issue again points to the need for device calibration. I calibrate my LCD monitor every couple of months, but my CRT monitor is calibrated each time it's used for critical or client work.</p>

<p>At the low price point Ryan has targeted LaCie and Apple monitors, whether CRT or LCD, are out of the question. Based on information in his other posts, I would predict that if his laptop had even the accuracy and adjustability of you Mac laptop displays, he wouldn't be in need of an external monitor.</p>

<p>I envy your equipment coices, Dan. I'd love to have any of those displays at my disposal.</p>

<p>Your title asks about a CRT type Viewsonic, while your text asks about LCD Viewsonic. I hope you understand the difference between the 2 types ?<br>

LCD low end Viewsonic model, and higher end LCD NEC monitors were discussed here:<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00RGTS">http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00RGTS</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>I got a used Viewsonic CRT 19" last week- it's got fine color but terrible geometry. I got it for $20 off of craigslist so I'm not complaining.</p>

<p>I haven't found that CRTs drift much in practice, but mine only gets a few hours (6-10) of use a week and I always turn the power off when I'm not using it.</p>

<p>thank you David,<br>

I bough 2 pairs of LaCie IV just before they stop production the CRT. I use them only for my personal works. Also I notice that the 19" are sharper (on the screen) than the 22" (I don't know about other brand). So I go easy on Sharpening on the 22"<br>

happy holidays,</p>

<p>Dan, I'm not really surprised your LaCie monitors would vary a bit in sharpness. It's just the nature of the beast.</p>

<p>Apparent sharpness will vary somewhat even on identical make and size CRT monitors, especially over time--it's an adjustable parameter on CRTs, unlike LCDs which are mapped pixel for pixel at native resolution. Beyond adjustment differences, some CRTs will be sharper if there is an inherently better combination of beam size, dot (or stripe) pitch, and mask design. Larger CRTs sometimes use wider deflection angles to reduce monitor depth. This causes the electron beam to strike at more oblique angles at the sides of the screen, and can decrease perceived sharpness. And, of course, signal path performance (especially analog video amplifiers and cathode drivers) contributes, as well.</p>

<p>With my CRTs, I usually hold back a bit in initial sharpening. I use LightRoom export sharpening for files destined for print, and (usually) import to InDesign pages for serious printed work--I love the output control it gives me.</p>

<p>Sorry to get so long-winded. I was a Sony engineer (CRT manufacturing) for over twenty years, so I can't help being a total geek about this stuff.</p>