On line retailer experiences

beac

<p>I'm in the process of selling off my Nikon D80 and Nikkor 18-200 VR so I can get into a D700. Does anyone have any strong feelings about retailers. Adorama and B&H both seem reputable, and are listing the camera for $2300 and change. That is about $300 more than my local retailers, whom I like to support, but $300 is real money!<br>

Obviously Adorama has an arrangement here so they are the obvious choice, but can I get some feedback from folks who have purchased from them, B&H or any other reputable retailers. Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>I think KEH is one of the best places to sell your gear at, online. They pay fair prices and are a good company. They also have an extensive 2nd hand equipment selection of Nikon equipment and their new prices are also reasonable. Though I have to say that they don't have the best search engine. I also like B&H and Adorama and have purchased from but not sold to them.</p>

<p>I am sure you will enjoy the D700, I certainly have.</p>

<p>I have purchased from both BH and Adorama and have found the service to be acceptable from both. I would have no hesitation about buying new equipment from either of them. I would give BH slightly higher marks on used equipment.<br>

I have also purchased new equipment from Amazon and have found their service just as professional. However, they lack the expertise of BH or Adorama if you have any technical issues (as far as photography goes). Some Amazon listings actually come from Adorama.<br>

I have also had good experiences with Calumet, but their target market seems to be a bit higher-ended than I am, and their pricing is generally higher than BH/Adorama.<br>

Noting previous responses, I have also enjoyed good service from KEH. The only reason I don't buy from them more frequently is that they are in-state for me, and I would have to pay sales-tax which often makes the other options more affordable.</p>

<p>"Adorama and B&H both seem reputable, and are listing the camera for $2300 and change. That is about $300 more than my local retailers, whom I like to support, but $300 is real money!"</p>

<p>did you mean to write that Adorama/B&H are $300 <strong>less</strong> than local retailers? that seems more likely.<br>

my experience with these online retailers is their prices are lower than brick and mortars and their customer service and return policies make them very credible. they have a very good rep.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I just purchased my new Nikon D90 from Adorama and after I said I wanted the camera, so we already made the deal, I then said could something be done as I really needed it to be delivered in exactly 5 days. This was over the Thanksgiving Holiday. The person I spoke with at Adorama (Stu) assured he would see to it personally to get the shipment ready and out of their shop and that it would be delivered right when I needed it. Yes sir it was right on the money. I live out in the country with no close camera shop at all. I really felt good making this transaction with Adorama, my first I might add. The salesperson took his time with me on the phone, was very courteous so I will give them an A+ Oh, and they had the cheapest price at the time.<br>

phil</p>

<p>Both are very reputable retailers and you shouldn't have any problem with them. I've spent LOTS of money at B and H for business as well as for the school I work at. Customer service can sometimes come with some NYC attitude and impatience, but never negative.<br>

I also like Roberts Imaging if their prices are right. It DOES seem odd that your local prices are lower. If that really is the case or if the prices are close, I would go with the local. Saves time, supports your local business/economy, and you have somewhere to go if something should come up.<br>

Sam</p>

<p>I deal with a local retailer named Norman Camera located in Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids, MI. They have always been fair to me. I mention them because they have always been willing to sell gear for what B&H will sell for. I just bought my D300 from them In the store it was 1799.00. When I asked, after they gave me a trade in price for my D80, they sold it to me for the B&H price of 1469.00 Maybe ask your local retailer if he would be willing to do the same? It's worth a try and maybe it will keep your dollars local where you can get service/advice after the sale.</p>

<p>I have had good experiences with Adorama. Fairly easy to use website. Prompt service and fast shipping. In fact, I ordered a new lens online last night, they shipped it today. I'll get it on Friday. I will do business with them again.</p>

“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”

— Wayne Gretsky

<p>I've had great experience with both B and H and Adorama.</p>

<p>A couple of years ago, I wanted to buy a used D2x - Found one locally, but they sold it before I could get there to look at it. Saw one on the B and H website for $100.00 less plus free shipping... placed my order and got a call (not an e-mail) from one of their techcs who said that they were just testing the camera prior to shipping and found it to be DOA. They tried everything to revive it but no luck. </p>

<p>I ended up not buying a D2x but am extermely grateful that they were actually testing the thing before it went out the door.</p>

<p>About the only compliant I can think of with B and H is that they do adhere to a strict religious holiday schedule and their ordering system is not available over their holidays. Unlike the big boxes who'll take your money online no matter what day it is.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Thanks all for the great advice. I did screw up when I said that the on line places were $300 more than my local shop. Scratch that, back up, reverse it...<br>

I do like to support the local New Orleans business owners, but $300 is a bit much to eat. That being said, I will ask if they can match the B&H/Adorama price. If not, it sounds like I can't go wrong with the places you all recommend. Thanks much</p>

<p>I'm 0 for 2 with Adorama. I don't think I'm going back for a third try.<br>

I ordered a filter for my 50mm 1.8. I accidentally entered the wrong shipping address. When I realized the mistake I called them. They said I had to wait 3 weeks to report a missing package. I waited. When I called back on day 22, I was told I had to call back after 4 weeks for them to report it. I called back a week later and no one answered. I called again the next day and could not get the person to understand what needed done (the other 2 understood but they said they could not act yet). This person was just awful. I called back 2 or 3 days later and they said they would report the package missing. They said it would take 3 to 6 weeks for the carrier to report back to them. I called back after 3 weeks and they said that they hadn't heard back from the carrier yet but they would contact me as soon as they heard anything. I never heard from them so I called back again after 3 more weeks. When I gave the customer service person my order number this time, they said that nothing had been submitted to the carrier and that so much time had passed that they couldn't open an investigation now. I called back one more time to verify this and I got the same story (at least something was consistent).<br>

I thought I would give them another shot since the wrong address was my fault after all. I ordered another new filter from them (Hoya PRO1) and when I opened the box I first noticed that the factor seal was broken. That didn't concern me as much as the finger print that was dead center on the filter. This would have been a CSI team's perfect print. It was big, fully formed and perfectly visible to the naked eye. I still can't believe that a print could be that perfect without some sort of intentional work. Anyway, when I called them they claimed that this couldn't have happened so I decieded that I would just clean it. I'm new to DSLR photography and I don't know how long it takes others to clean a finger print off a filter or lens but this took me a long time (I don't even want to try to figure out how long, it was multiple sessions and cussing was involved each time). I give! I'm sticking with Amazon and B&H.<br>

--Wade</p>

<p>like ilkka, i think brian is saying that his local shop will list (or sell?) his gear $300 less than adorama and b&h. is that right, brian? .... if you come in to your local shop frequently even just to browse and drool, i'd support them. but then again as you said, $300 is real money. very true. that's another sb-800.</p>

<p>Wade<br>

It certainly sounds like you had you had a pretty unpleasant experience shopping with us in the past. The missing package story is more than bizarre because it in no way reflects the procedure that the CS team are supposed to follow. Unless it was over a year ago (before the 'Big Shake Up').<br>

As for the lens - actually, as for any problem with Adorama, the best thing is always to contact me directly. You won't be able to get me on the 'phone, but I'm available for direct email contact: <a href="mailto:helen.oster@adoramacamera.com">helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</a><br>

If the experiences are recent ones, do you mind if we carry on this conversation outside the forum - in case I need to ask you for personal details etc? <br>

Phil<br>

Thank you for the great feedback - I've made sure that Stu's manager sees it<br>

Sincerely<br>

Helen Oster<br>

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador<br>

<a href="mailto:helen.oster@adoramacamera.com">helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</a></p>

<p>

<p>Just a plug here for 17th St. Photo. I bought my D200 from them about the time the original D200 banding issue was dying down. Being paranoid, I convinced myself I had the problem. I contacted 17 Photo and they shipped out a new one right away. Essentially, they told me to compare the two and keep the one I liked best. If neither was satisfactory, we'd start from square one.<br>

Gotta like that. :)</p>

</p>

<p>I've also had very good customer service with 17 Street Photo. I think since they're smaller than B and H and Adorama, they don't get mentioned very much. When the D70 first came out, they told me on the phone that they were expecting the shipment the next day. They said they would call before sending it out. I didn't believe they would and just forgot about it. Well, to my surprise, they did call before sending it out. <br>

I've also had good luck with B and H and Adorama as well.</p>

<p>$300 is a lot yes... sometimes they can come pretty close.</p>

<p>I did buy my D200 for what B&H was selling it at in 2006, which was surprising, there was 10-20% markup between the store and B&H for all lenses and flash... but somehow not for D200.</p>

<p>There was still the issue for close to 10% sales tax (maybe 8.5%) and at $1700 that's about $150... but getting the camera right away sometimes has its benefits. Has the price had been more than at B&H, the 2 negatives [higher price + sales tax] would have made me not get it. I never got a lens locally because of price difference..... a $760 lens you can expect a $900 price on.. having a "contact" in the store helps, and approaching him with "can you match $762 price?".<br>

<br /> If i was receiving support from the salesman at different times, if i would be in a position of benefiting from his advice.... that would change things totally, I would feel the need to "pay back" but i would still want to narrow the margin, bring it into $100 or so margin [after taxes], but really i hadn't been in the store in a year, and i just came for the camera, then i wasn't there for another year. Actually a few months later i was there for a Manfrotto tripod, and got a great price on that, possibly even less than B&H price :-). But since then that local store is 1,000miles away.<br /> Speaking of tripods, Gitzo is sweet, i got it used :-).</p>