Nikon AF 35-105 f3.5-4.5 (Non-D) Macro Mode How To

steve_phillips3

<p>Hi. I am a relatively new Nikonian, having purchased a new Nikon D80 on "fire sale" about six weeks ago, after many years of shooting Pentax film and digital. I like the camera very much. I have picked up this relatively cheap used lens to play with. This one has a rotating color for zoom (I understand there is another version that is push/pull.) After solving the "EE" problem by searching this forum and learning how to lock the aperture ring, the images are fine and it works fine in normal use, but I have never had a lens with a macro mode like this and I am unsure how to use it. (For my Pentax I have a 135mm prime with a macro adapter set.) In particular, how do I focus in that mode? When I push the button and rotate the collar, I can focus very close by moving my head back and forth, but the autofocus does not seem to work, nor does the manual focus colar, although the focus indicator in the viewfider does work. Is this normal? Any other hints?<br>

Thank you for any help.<br>

Steve</p>

<p>Steve.... I might be wrong but I think you have to zoom out to 35 mm and it must have a little nob or pin that you push to engage into macro. You can't use the macro mode in any other focal length but 35. That's the way my 35-70 f/2.8 works. Look for that little pin and try. If I am wrong..... don't shoot me! Someone else will help you! :) Good luck and have fun. The D80 is a nice camera. That's how I came to Nikon! Cheers!</p>

<p>Renè is right but... the macro mode is in this lens at 105. You must turn the macro ring up to 105, then 1. Press the M knob and 2. While pressing the knob turn the zoom ring to "M".<br />You can use the zoom ring stepless in the macro run, from "105" to "M". If you return again to "105", the macro knob disengages.</p><div>00RpOI-98471684.jpg.92d42861b9bc6dee94b30ad64aeb86f6.jpg</div>

<p>... and in the macro run, the AF doesn`t work. The electronic rangefinder does. That`s normal. As you say, you can: 1. Set the camera at a distance and try to focus with the zoom barrel into the macro run or 2. Set the zoom barrel at any point depending of the desired magnification and go forth and back... no more chances, I`m afraid. With a macro focusing platform this method will be easier, but probably not worth it the expense.</p>