D300 vs D700 vs D90?!

<p>Bengt,<br>

grattis till ditt beslut att köpa en D300 - - du kommer att har roligt med den. Älskar min.<br>

God Jul och Gott Nytt År tillbaka. Jag kommer att titta efter Stockholms bilderna då och då.</p>

<p>Lil :-)<br>

Translation -<br>

Bengt,<br>

congratulations on your decision to buy a D300 - - you will have fun with it. Love mine.<br>

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year back at you. I will look for the photos from Stockholm now & then...</p>

<p>Lil :-)</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Body: D90. A flat out amazing camera, and the D90 with a 24-70mm f/2.8 at 35mm is sharper than my 5D with a 35mm f/1.4L lens.<br>

Lens: sell the 18-70mm and don't ever get another one. One of the worst AF lenses Nikon has ever made IMHO. The 12-24 would be great but of course the 17-55 would just about cover it all. The 17-55mm is a monster, however, and will make you tired quickly carrying it around. I love the pictures it produces but the weight is pretty oppressive.<br>

Personally, I would take the D90 with the 12-24mm if I were you and I could only take one body and one lens.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Bengt<br>

India is very dusty, very humid, and very crowded as you may know. It's probably the last place on earth where you may like to try out a new camera. I go there all the time, trust me.<br>

If I were you, I'd rent one (say, at Adorama) or buy second hand (B&H, Adorama). This will give you a great way to figure out if you like what you ended up choosing.<br>

As to which to buy, I faced the same dilemma as you very recently between the D90 and the D300, and I opted for the latter. The build quality, the main controls at your finger tips, and the superior AF swung it toward the D300.<br>

The price of the D90 has come down, and it may be because Nikon hope to introduce another model between the D90 and the D300.</p>

• 5 months later...

<p>Interesting thread. I am rather in the same situation of deciding between these three cameras (not travelling to India).<br>

I come from Ricoh KR-10x, and since 2000 Nikon F 80 with the MB-16. I have a fine collection of Nikkor AF lenses: 28mm/1:2.8 D, 50mm/1:1.8, Micro 60mm/1:2.8 D (my favourite), 28-105mm/1:3.5-4.5 D.<br>

I used to scan negatives and mainly slides with a Nikon Coolscan III (see my portfolio), but lately the film scanner doesn't work properly anymore and I don't want to pay a second time to fix it. Also, the quality of lab-developed slides has decreased big time. <br>

I also have a Fujichrome S 6500/fd, which has a nice face detection feature and portrait program.<br>

I don't do too much shots but I am into high quality if I buy a new camera. I need something which offers at least the quality and reliablility of my beloved F 80.<br>

I wanted to wait for a D 800, but now the holiday season is approaching and I don't want to wait any longer.<br>

I could afford the D 700 (like the FX format), and was planning to buy it. But then I read great reviews about the D 90 and D 300 also.<br>

Any recommends?</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Well, I made my choice. I thought the D90 would be just the same class as the F80 as the camera for an ambitious amateur and right now the D90 has just the same price level as the F80 ten years ago.<br>

I'm not disappointed. The D90 is a phantastic camera - though of course you have to care about the settings, especially white balance and exposure, which I found a bit overridden in some situations.<br>

10 years of progress can be clearly seen. I can make photos which were not possible in this way with film and the F80. Also, now I have them directly on the screen and do not have to let them be developed and then digitise them.<br>

Two of my first shots during the last days:<br>

http://www.eisenburger.de/jpgs/Henry_2010-07-02.jpg<br>

The picture of my dog was taken with closed blinds and the 50mm/1:1.8.<br>

http://www.eisenburger.de/jpgs/grosses_ochsenauge_ausschnitt.jpg<br>

The butterfly photo (<em>Maniola jurtina</em>) is cropped and taken with the Micro 60mm/1:2.8 D.<br>

P.S. Nevertheless I will not buy any DX lenses because I have a gret set of full format lenses from the F80 times.</p>