What is the right swab TYPE for D300

nikolo5

<p>Good time!<br>

I would like to clean my D300's sensor with "Photographic Solutions" Sensor Swabs but not sure which "TYPE" of the swab to choose.</p>

<p>They have three types, and here (http://shashinki.com/shop/sensor-swab-type-nikon-d300-d200-canon-350d-400d-pentax-k10detc-p-338.html) the TYPE 2 is suggested, whereas here (http://www.photosol.com/cameras_bymfg.html) it is the TYPE 1..</p>

<p>Please, those who know for sure and have already used definite type of swab, post your opinion.<br>

Thank you in advance!<br>

NB.</p>

<p>I agree with Rene - use a swab only as a last resort.</p>

<p>You may find a blower (e.g., Giottos Rocket) effective. However, a blower doesn't remove dust, it just rearranges it inside the mirror box. Secondly, blowing creates static, which can hold some particles even tighter.</p>

<p>The best method I've found uses brushes by Visible Dust. The brushes are "charged" using canned air or by spinning them in air with an electric motor. They actually "suck up" dust from the sensor, which is removed when you recharge the brush before use. I have not needed a swab in a year and a half.</p>

<p >If you must use them, then it is sensor swab type 2 that you need for the D300. It is 17mm wide and is the perfect size for the D300 sensor. You also need Eclipse E2 cleaning fluid for tin oxide coated sensors (very important). <br /><br />I would also advise you to try to avoid anything other than a blower, but sometimes that is not enough. I had some sticky dust on my D80 after 3 weeks of hiking in the mountains, living in a dusty tent and with varying humidity. After trying everything else, I eventually bought these sensor swabs and managed to remove the dust without too much trouble. </p>

<p>I am now 18 months into 3 digi SLR cameras and have yet to have a dust problem the blower did not take care of, and that was but a single spot on two occasions. </p>

<p>I change lenses mount down and make sure the back of the new on is dust free and oriented ready to go on. Use rear caps. I also blow out the dust from the mirror chamber periodically, raise the mirror, then blow out the back end. I do not open the shutter unless there is already a dust problem. I do this as a preventative measure to make sure any dust already in the mirror chamber can not migrate to the sensor eventually.</p>

<p>Eclipse Type 2 is what you need. Check out the prices at Micro Tools. They get you stuff quickly. Also check out Copperhill Method for cleaning instructions.</p>

<p>There was one other problem though, a small black spot on every picture in the same place. Turned out to be a pin size black spot on my computer screen.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nick, I would be sooo careful doing this yourself! I'd agree with all the 'blowing' advice above but if youcan afford it get a Nikon Service Centre or a very competant and preferably recommended camera repair and servicing company to do it for you. Mine comes back spotless! Are you UK or USA based?</p>

<p>Thank you for the feedback so far !</p>

<p>No, Im neither UK nor US based, but swabs are available where I am, and I think I must use them, since my dust is not actually dust but looks like two liquid spots on the sensor, although pretty small...<br>

I have described this issue here - http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00RJBe</p>

<p>Any further ideas or suggestions will be appreciated! :)<br>

NB.</p>