Shutter delay with RB67

rjacksonphoto

<p>I just purchased an excellent condition RB67 from KEH with an excellent condition 90m C f/3.8 lens. Everything seems to function as it should except that there is about a one to two second delay from when I press the shutter and the mirror and light baffle move to the point that the shutter opens. It seems to be a uniform amount of time with each shot. When I shoot mirror up, there is no such delay. Is there any way that this camera has that much shutter lag? I wouldn't expect an excellent condition KEH camera to need a CLA and, if that's the case, I'm sending it back. My question is, is there something I'm not setting properly that might cause this behavior? It is not set for multiple exposure and it does the same thing whether X or M sync is set (which shouldn't matter, if I'm reading the manual right). Any help would be appreciated.</p>

<p>I have an old RB67 Pro. Not the Pro-S. In every case the mirror rises immediately upon depression of the shutter release button. The mirror travel is dampened to prevent vibration, but it only takes a small fraction of a second before the mirror is up and the shutter is released. If I had such a delay from a KEH "Excellent" body, I would call them and ask what they propose. </p>

<p>Thanks, Jack. I'm using the Pro S. I took the back off and fired it with the lens off, as well. After firing it several times, it works normally with no delay. I wonder if it just sat on the shelf for too long. It seems to be the light baffle moving that is occasionally delayed. It now functions normally almost every time. Seems to work best if I gently depress the shutter and then release it. Shutter speeds sound OK... I'm going to use it for a few days and see what happens. If it doesn't completely resolve itself, I'll call KEH as you suggested. Thanks again.</p>

<p>i'd contact them now, especially if it wasn't listed as a bargain, or as is. they try to keep up on their ratings, and leting one slip by doesn't do you, them, or other customers any good. sounds like the lens is gummed up, but that should have been noted.</p>

<p><strong>The camera shouldn't need exsersise in excelent condition. As one other poster said, try it with another lens or the lens removed. Sometimes a lens can cause it to bog down. Also check to see if the seals are gummy? The ones around the mirror... see if they are fresh or tend to not spring back when pressed. The bumpers under the front lip of the mirror box can cause sticking as well. </strong><br>

<strong>Call KEH and report the problem so if you do have any issues you are covered. I'm sure they'd be very happy to exchange it. Hanging on to a problem can only be worse later, n you're going to come back here n bad mouth them. </strong><br>

<strong></strong></p>

The more you say, the less people listen.

<p>Thanks for the input. I've spoken with KEH and they agree with trying it for a few more days but are prepared to make an exchange if it doesn't work. Very helpful. Everything else on the camera looks great. The lens and shutter seem to be fine. It is just an intermittent delay in the mirror or light baffle moving. I'll see what happens and see what the film I've exposed looks like. Thanks again.</p>