Asahi Spotmatic

kfrog

<p>I have a K10D and I recently bought a Super-Takumar 35mm f/3.5 because I wanted to experience one of these classic screw mount manual lenses (Love it by the way). So now I've decided to try my hand with a classic Spotmatic but I'm not sure where to get a good example of one. KEH has them and I've seen them on ebay as well. The range of prices is so wide that I'm not sure what would be a fair price for one.<br /> <br /> Any suggestions?<br>

Thank you.</p>

<p>Although I've never purchased anything from them, the conventional wisdom around here is that KEH is one of the best places to buy used equipment. They know what they are selling, they are very conservative in rating camera condition and they stand behind their products. When they say a camera is in "good" condition, most people would call it "excellent".</p>

<p>On the other hand, I have had good luck buying cameras from eBay. Just watch the auctions for a while to get a feel for how much you should pay. Be willing to walk away, if you are outbid. Only buy from a seller with good feedback. Ask questions. If you don't get good answers, walk away. Personally, I don't look twice at an auction with a reserve price, but that's just personal preference. Decide how much you are willing to spend for a camera and, if someone is willing to pay more, let them have it. There are dozens of Spotmatics for sale every day. Don't fall in love with any one particular example.</p>

<p>If buying a Spotmatic on eBay, ask the seller if the meter works. Often, though, the seller doesn't have a battery for it, so he/she can't answer. As I said, there are enough Spotmatics out there, that you can simply pass up ones with non-working or indeterminent meters. Ask if there is any corrosion in the battery chamber. Ask if all the shutter speeds work.</p>

<p>A decent Spotmatic, with no major wear or damage to the exterior, working shutter/mirror, working meter should sell on eBay for between $50 and $100 for just the camera, with perhaps a 50mm,f/1.4 or 55mm, f/1.8 lens. I would be hard-pressed to imagine a Spotmatic that was worth much more than that. Only if it is in absolutely mint condition, everything works or it comes with several good lenses, would a Spotmatic be worth more than $100 to me. There are several dealers who regularly have Spotmatics and other cameras of that era that they try to sell for $500 or more. Somehow they have extremely clean, mint condition cameras. Perhaps, if you want an absolutely pristine example for a collection, it would be worth it, but certainly not for a camera that you are going to go out and actually take pictures with.</p>

<p>A good eBay seller will allow you to return an item within a few days of purchase. Don't buy a camera that is sold "as is, no returns". I have gotten a couple of decent cameras this way, but its risky. If the camera is DOA, you're stuck with it, unless the buyer will accept returns.</p>

<p>Watch out for the sellers who charge ridiculous amounts for shipping. A Spotmatic, with normal lens, weighs just under two pounds and will fit in a USPS Flat Rate box easily. In such a box, it can be shipped anywhere in the US for under $10. If they want more than $12-15 for shipping, walk away. Even if they take returns, it is standard procedure to only refund the purchase price, not the shipping.</p>

<p>Paul Noble</p>

<p>Douglas,<br>

I see one or two of these per week advertised on Craigslist for under $100. I don't know about the condition. You can also post a wanted listing there.<br>

I would also ask other photographers in your community. Usually folks who still shoot medium or larger format film have a few of these around they would sell and let you to test it out out. If you go to a local camera repair shop, you will probably find one of these available too. They'll probably charge between $125-175 because they are essentially refurbished. Pentax Forums dot com has a very active used market. I recently saw an ES Spotmatic there, that was quite a camera for its day.<br>

Sometimes you can find a nicely working Mamiya/Sekor DTL 1000 or a Fujica M42 body for very little cost. They are both similar to the Spotmatic, though I believe the ES is in a class of its own.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Thanks guys for the quick responses.<br>

I looked at KEH and saw some of their EX quality cameras from $29 to over $100 no lens included. Odd. I think I'll consider a camera and a 50mm lens. A working meter is a must. I noticed some say the meter does or does not work.<br>

The Craigslist is something I am not familiar with. I'll have to check that out. Thanks.</p>

<p>Probably the highest failure rate in older camera's, Spotmatic's for sure, is a badly corroded battery compartment. Someone leaves an old battery in the camera, puts it in a drawer for 10 years, and finds the battery has completely failed, leaked caustic goo all over the battery compartment and ruined a once nice camera. Camera's on eBay are famous for this. Make sure the seller specifically warrants the battery compartment is clean and the screw on cap is present and operable.</p>

<p>Douglas, deals are out there - you just have to be patient and look for them. <br>

On friday, I picked up 2 spotmatics and an old H3V (the pentax model before the spotmatic). I got 3 cameras, and 6 old but beautifully kept tak lenses for $250. Only one of the spotmatics was CLA (4 years ago) - and is a thing of beauty. The other two, I tried and they seem to both suffer from sticky mirror syndrome. They may need some help to get in tip top condition - but, they look new, and are probably worth the extra effort to fix them.<br>

The lenses were well kept - filtered, capped and cased. The 200mm is probably the most beat up of the lot - it has been dinged around and the hood has a bend in it, but the glasses are clean, and scratchfree. -<br>

I'm really looking forward to playing with my 'new' camera & lenses. :)</p>

<p>Hi Doug -<br>

I picked up a Spotmatic 1000 with an SMC Takumar 55mm F/2 at a garage sale before common sense got the better of me (TOO MANY CAMERAS!). The camera seems to work fine, as far as I can tell through 1.5 rolls of film, with good results on the first pics. The lens has a little peripheral fungus that doesn't interefere, but may get worse of course. Otherwise it is pretty darn cool to use. If you want to go bargain basement, you can have it for the $20 I paid plus shipping. (The battery compartment looks great!) Otherwise, as others recommended, I've got great stuff from KEH, even their "bargain" stuff looks and works very nicely.</p>

<p>Good luck!<br>

Nick</p>

<p>After doing some additional research and reading a little Spotmatic history I've decided to look for a Spotmatic F model. The biggest issue with it seems to be batteries for the meter. They are either hard to find or they need some work of some kind.<br>

If I have the time I am going to check out my local camera shop. Last time I was there I bought a battery grip for my K10D, but I noticed they have a bunch of used film camera's all over the place. It didn't occur to me then to even look at any of them.<br>

I think I will this time.</p>