After Christmas prices.

<p>this would depend on how much stock is left unsold after the festive period. i work in the finance arm of the retail inductry here in uk. i know that last christmas was not too bad because people paid more with cash rather than cards. this christmas, we are noticing that mote cash and debit cards are being used than last year. cameras are of course luxuary goods. so the credit crunch might hit the lower end of the market rather more than the very highest end.</p>

<p>Expect ? - yes, we should expect lower prices. Will happen ? - Not so soon. They must cash in on the product sales, and competition must bring some pressure, as well as longer time needed for the technology to advance and provide substantial incremental quality or feature gain. I wish I was wrong on the second part...</p>

<p>I'm also in UK. The VAT tax has been temporarily reduced by 2.5% which will help with the larger purchases but as it will continue for another year, or at least until the next election, there is no rush to purchase.<br>

Some professionals may wish to get new equipment before the end of the tax year (April 5) so maybe some retailers will really be feeling the pinch then. UK prices, in general, appear to be getting closer to US prices anyway.<br>

I'm waiting for Canon to get hard up and introduce some really good Cash Back deals. But they will probably have reasonably good Christmas sales with the low budget point & shoot equipment.</p>

<p>"And what about the world crisis? Will it have an impact in the SLR market making prices to get lower?" It seems that already may be the case. If you go over to <a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/">Bob Atkins'</a> site, there's a link to Amazon listing both the 50D and 40D. The prices seem to drop almost daily. The most recent listing had the 40D at $799.00 (quite a deal) and the 50D could fall below $1,000 by next month if the prices keep falling at their current rate. If Christmas sales are poor and/or the economy remain sluggish, I'm sure prices will only continue to fall.</p>