Overlapping Frames on 500C -- Part 2

g_t3

<p>Thanks to those who has replied to my previous post. I tried a second roll to confirm the spacing problem. This time I follow the instruction to the word on the manual, made sure the paper backings were tight on the spools and arrow lined up. And again, the frames came out overlapped again on the second roll.<br>

However, I did make a mistake shooting this roll. Unfamiliar with the operations, I first forgot to pull the dark slide out so I couldn't release the shutter. In my fumble of trying to figure out what went wrong, I wound the crank on the magazine to frame 4 without taking a shot. Then I realized it was the slide, so I pulled the slide out and was able to finish the rest of the roll.<br>

To my puzzlement, I look at the film strip after I developed it, the unexposed frames were at the end of the film strip!!! It is as I cranked the magazine, the counter advanced, but the film did not move a bit, until I started to using the big transporting knob on the body to advance film and cock the shutter.<br>

Is it normal?? Or just simply another symptom of a bad magazine??<br>

Anyway, this magazine is a due for a service definitely.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Look along the cutting edge of the film strip. The film itself should be numbered by the manufacturer. My theory is that the film is perfectly fine, this may just be you now noticing how it sequences your pictures. Remember that when the image is captured, in the camera it looks upside-down and backwards. You can see this for yourself if you want. Take the back off, take the focusing screen out, lock the mirror up and put the camera on bulb, keeping the lens open, bring the focusing screen to where the back would normally be. You'll see a wonderful upside down reversed image. Now imagine trying to compose a shot with a view camera. :O</p>

<p>If the crank truly did nothing, except move the number, then when you went to take the roll out of the back, you would have noticed one of two things:</p>

<p>1. It took 10 times as long to wind the roll up after you fired the last shot.<br>

2. The remaining film would have been exposed when you removed the back.</p>

<p>The only other explaination is that your camera is possessed. Bring it to the nearest Catholic Church and have the priest preform and exorcism.</p>

<p>Hi Ronald,<br>

Honest to god, I took note of where I took the photos, and the order .. you 8-12 were blank 1-7 do have the images. While I might not be familiar with Hassy, I do own and use Bronica SQA, Pentax 67 and Yashica 124G, that is why I was perplexed by this film strip. <br>

Hi David,<br>

The image I took on UPSIDE DOWN in the order I took them.</p>

<p>Hi Kenny,<br>

But the crank on the magazine must have done something when I used it to advance to 1. Just that it might not have done anything when I cranked it with the dark slide in, yet the number went to 4. And when I realized that I was winding the wrong crank (it does look like the Bronica crank, just smaller :) ) and started winding the film transport through the knob on the body the film started to advance again, that is why frames 8-12 were blank. I don't know.. it must be a bad magazine -- since the frames came out overlapping a bit, it is in for a service.</p>

<p>You by chance wouldn't have the ability to downsize a scan of the entire strip would you?</p>

<p>Ghost frames aside, if the exposed frames are overlapping, it's time get the backs CLA'd. Although if the problem is in the body, that will have to be serviced as well. The backs usually become problematic before the body though. In either case, getting the camera serviced will very likely fix the problem of the overlapping frames issue.</p>

<p>It's more of a retuning than it is a repair.</p>