Yikes, very hot edges on negatives?

sean_fitzgerald1

I'm wondering if you're LOADING the camera correctly. Rolliflex and Rolleicords load a little differently as I recall (thats bad, since I've had two of each in the past.. coffee deprived, sorry).

Incorrect loading would account for the nasty spacing. You need to try loading the camera inside, and not unloading it until you get back inside. I think you're also getting bleed around the paper backing from mislandling perhaps, or exposure to direct sunlight.

<i>A vivitar e36 or 33 with a 50 mm vivitar lens.</i>

<br><br>

There's your printing problem. A 50mm enlarging lens does not

have adequate format coverage to print 6x6 format without a LOT

of falloff around the edges. You need a 75-80mm enlarging lens.

<br><br>

Godfrey

Are the negatives pictured above Sean's?

There are some streaky light leaks, yeah, and the edges look as

if they were not quite loaded in the developing tank exactly right.

I've never owned a Rolleicord so I'm not sure what the proper

loading method is ... I have only owned Rolleiflexes.

Godfrey

As mentioned, the 50mm enlarging lens is the problem

Which model Rolleicord is it? On early models up to III you need to press in a button on the advance knob each time you advance the film, but don't hold it in when turning.

Also, film advance problems (dried grease, etc) is a major, common problem. The film advance gears may need cleaning. This is not a "fault" with your camera...simply a common problem on an older camera that probably hasn't been used for years. You should always expect to have a CLA done on older cameras and budget accordingly when you buy it.

Also, remember to advance the film to the arrows when loading with a Rolleicord, then close the back, and loop the paper over all rollers...not under any rollers as on the Rolleiflex.

Get it cleaned and adjusted and you'll be pleased with the results.

The spacing problem is a camera film advance problem.

The "hot edges" and the "streaking" are light leaks, probably from a loose roll. I've never seen an enlarging lens produce light-leak streaks. The wrong lens will create problems but not those indicated above. The camera problem contributing to the uneven spacing probably has something to do with the loose winding of the roll and the resulting light streaks. (I once worked at a major university's journalism school overseeing the student photo lab. I've seen just about everything that can go wrong and this is not an enlarging lens problem.)

Which end is hot? If frame 1 is hot, I would definately take a look at the camera. If frame 12 is hot, you might not be wrapping the film tightly enough. The whole thing should be snugly wound- if you pinch the roll, you shouldn't feel any looseness- it should feel like a single unit. If it feels loose, pinch the ends between your fingers, and pull the slack out of the paper before taping it closed.