Olympus OM-2

CosteaM

<p>It is a long time since I tried to get my hands on an Olympus OM-1 or OM-2. It happens that I found a clean OM-2 with the 50mm Zuiko lens for $50 at the last camera show in Toronto. I already run a film through it and I fell in love with the damn thing. I understand it has an electronic shutter which means even in manual mode it will not operate without batteries. I would post some pictures but not sure how you feel about it. If you think it is off topic no problemo I can wait until it becomes a classic :-)</p>

<p>Heck, post away, as far as <em>I</em> am concerned. I'd say that just about any film camera really qualifies as "classic" (please, I mean that in the best way- I am not trolling). The Olympus OM models are certainly among the most beautiful film cameras ever made and deserve attention for that elegance alone. Moreover, I think it can be plausibly argured that they were historically significant in creating a new niche in SLRs.</p>

<p >Al, start saving; not because of the pictures but I was really impressed with this little beauty.</p>

<p >JDM you are spot on when you call the OM’s beautiful and elegant. This is exactly what you fell when you use it. As you mentioned the OM-2 has its share of novelty for the time when it was introduced (1975), at least as far as off-the-film metering system (OTF) and TTL flash control. </p>

<p >I still want an OM-1 so I look forward to the next camera show in town.</p>

<p >Will post some pictures this evening. cheers</p>

<p>I've got an OM-10 that I am always amazed at the consistent quality of pics that come out of it. Me being a random shoot whatever no planning kind of guy. I'm surprised that they are going for so cheap on the bay... relatively speaking of course. All round I'm a big fan of Olympus. I've got a Stylus Epic wheatherproof that I always carry around that is incredible even in low light, and an IS-3 that I use when I just want to shoot without too much effort. It's too bad that Olympus doesn't get the same mainstream "respect" as the other two big names (Miranda and Pentacon LOL!).</p>

<p><em>Definitely this is what I need next, it was also recommended by my family doctor (LOL).</em></p>

<p>Actually someone have got it as a gift, and he NEVER baught lenses for that body. I was stunned: 30-35 years in the closed, unsued even ones. I still can not believe to my luck. :-)<em><br /> </em></p>

<p>I have used my OM-2 as my principal camera system for many years and love it, with the exception of the battery, which I've had to replace fairly often. Because I prefer manual mode, I may have been better off with an OM-1.<br>

But after discovering its predecessor, the Olympus Pen F half-frame SLR, I hardly ever touch my faithful OM-2. The compact Pen, designed by the same engineer and without the triangular prism that defines most SLRs, is a helluva lot more fun to use, with fast lenses and fantastic depth of field. It also comes with an entire system of very good lenses. </p>