Sigma 400mm f/5.6 APO

sim_m

<p>I came across a review of the sigma 400mm f5.6 APO where it was stated that the 72mm thread version (the model before the HSM) was not so good optically.<br>

Some even said it needs re chipping to work on the new models but none of them was a Nikon user.<br>

Any other opinions?</p>

<p>There is a 77mm version, right after the 72mm version, that looks exactly like the HSM, and is th same opical formual, but is not HSM. It's excellent as well. Just like the HSM, which was the last version of this great lens...<br>

I believe the re-chipping was a Canon user thing, and only refers to HSM versions...<br>

I've never heard of having to re-chip a Nikon mount version (though it's possible there are instances of this).</p>

<p>I have the APO Telemacro, 77mm filter thread version. I've read about folks having metering issues with this lens, but my example has never given me any problems on my D200. It's light and compact for a 400mm lens, but mine is currently for sale as it's considerably less sharp than my 70-200 w/1.4 TC, even when the latter combination is sampled up to match resolution.</p>