SB 800 or SB 900...

paul_b.1

I am a major flash user, generally shooting under natural light using flash for fill and for interior shots as well ,with flash bounced at 45'. Only casual , I burst 4 to 8 rapid shots.(3f/s), and I'm concerned about the new thermoswitch placed in SB900.

<p>As a photojournalist I'm not keen on using flash but it must be used sometimes...I have used the SB-800 from everything from indoor events for just a little fill light to night football games, and I don't think the SB-900 is that much better. I've seen/tested one and all that seemed different was that it was a bit bulkier. You'll be fine with the 800.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The main concern about the SB-900 is that it is huge. You can see the following image in my portfolio showing an SB-900, 800 and 600 side by side (1st image):<br /><a href="../photodb/folder?folder_id=880792">http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=880792</a><br>

The 2nd image shows an SB-900 on a D300.<br>

<br />The SB-900's thermostat feature can be switched off so that it is a complete non issue in case you don't want to use it.<br />The SB-900 has a big advantage that its zoom head can adjust to cover 200mm as well as to cover the DX frame so that you can focus and conserve your flash power, especially if you use a lot of telephoto. Otherwise, the SB-800 is fine and cheaper.</p>

"The SB-900 has a big advantage that its zoom head can adjust to cover 200mm" - that makes sense to use less light when not needed by concentrating the beam, and thus extending the life of the batteries.

However, I believe the Auto iTTL, Auto iTTL/BL, have the same maximun range of operation with both flashes. You could hope that concetrating the beam you could reach farther? - yes, but not in any automated mode, you may have to use Manual mode ? and paying premium for that ?

Since the exposure deciding factor resides in the camera sensors and not in the flash sensor (except Auto Thyristor mode), there is no longer range automation advantage with SB-900.

<p>SB800 is a fine piece of kit if you don't need the extra features. CLS and the whole wireless gig from Nikon is superb, I'd be tempted to get a 600 and an 800 instead of a 900 (ok slightly more expensive). When I had a D300 I loved popping up the internal flash and having two independent flashes controlled from within camera, I think the simplicity of a creative multi flash setup for wedding photographers is simply awesome (I've seen the results).</p>

<p>Chawn, a snoot only blocks stray light; it has no optics to concentrate the light beam.<br>

To get a similar effect on the SB-800, you can buy products such as the "Better Beamer" or similar that has a fresnel lens to concentrate the beam. Those products are designed for 300mm lenses or longer, so the SB-900 power is not as strong but you can avoid a somewhat annoying attachment on your flash.</p>