Zuiko 135/3.5 or 135/2.8

christian_odell1

<p>I shoot some Zuiko glass on my 30D and 5D with an adapter and love it. The bokeh on my 50/1.4 is terrific. Anyway, I used a friends 135/3.5 this weekend and love the perspective and bokeh. <br>

I went online to buy one and noticed they have a 135/2.8 as well. I am a huge fan of faster glass, but I've heard that the 2.8 is a soft-focus only portrait lens. I vastly prefer to soften wrinkles and whatnot in post and not in camera. <br>

Any anecdotes or opinions? Is it truly a soft-focus lens or is that sample variation?</p>

<p>Hello Christian. I have been using the Zuiko 135mm f2.8 since 1975. It is definitly not a soft focus lens, not when new and not when old! I love the viewfinder image and brightness that the faster lenses provide. I can also share the filters and accessories (to Miatani's wisdom) accross the various focal lengths. Get one and don't look back!<br>

Paul</p>

<p>I've had a SC 135/2.8 since the mid 70's and it's one of my favorite Zuiko lenses. I had a f/3.5 version for a while, but IMO the only real reason to own the slower lens is for the 49mm filters, whereas the f/2.8 uses 55mm. My f/2.8 is sharper, especially wide open, brighter, and produced better bokeh. <br>

A winner.<br>

Skip</p>

<p>Like Skip, I too used to own the f3.5 version, but replaced it with the 2.8. I found the 3.5 a little too soft wide open. The 2.8 is superb and remains one of my favorite OM Zuiko's. The bokeh, colour and sharpness combine very well to produce superb results. My copy is a late multicoated version, but has a little bit oil on the aperture blades. However, it still works fine.<br>

This is one Zuiko I doubt I will ever part with. Cheers, Steve.</p>