New

kelly_oneal

<p>Just wondering if any of the online photography classes are decent and if anyone has taken them. I am not looking to be a professional by any means. The one photography class I took in college sparked an interest. I've finally decided to purchase  a dslr, I have a nikon 80 35mm already. But I am more interested in  digital.<br>

Please advise if the online courses are worth it.</p>

<p>Thank you</p>

<p>KCo</p>

<p>ICP in New York offers some great classes - highly recommended.  Most, if not all, are online and are focused on digital - from the beginner to the advanced.<br>

They have a great catalog with what they offer.  Boston College also offers more online classes as well from their programs (something like the imaging center.... don't know the name).<br>

Good luck.</p>

<p>Thank you. I really appreciate the quick response. Can I ask just one more question? Then I'll leave you alone for a min? LOL.</p>

<p>I'm considering this camera. Okay for the beginner?<br>

canon eos rebel xs slr dig camera kit with 18-55mm IS lens and 75-300mm III lens<br>

? <br>

Thank you<br>

Kelly</p>

<p>They would be Ok for a beginner with the proper expectations. I shoot with the Canon XTi and the 18-55 (non-IS) and the 75-300 (Non-IS). The 18-55 IS kit lens that comes with the camera you want is a decent lens to start with. The 18-55 that I have in not know for it's quality. The 75-300 is also an entry level lens, and one I would not buy again if I was starting over. If budget is your primary decision making factor, and you don't expect the best, sharpest, photos, you can get by with it, just see my portfolio. You would be better off saving a bit more for one of the 70-300 or if you can save even more one of the 70-200's, which are know for their quality, even though you sacrifice the extra reach. </p>

<p>Also, if you are just starting out be careful who you buy from. Adorama (ad at the top of the screen) and <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/">B&H Photo</a> are known to be trustworthy places to buy from. Check www.resellerratings.com for any other online retailers, there are a lot of shady deals out there.</p>

<p>Can't speak for the courses, but I would advise the 18-55 IS coupled with the 55-200 IS, if you feel the need for a telezoom now. The Canon 75-300 is generally considered to be the weakest lens in the 70-300 range, Tamrons, Sigmas, etc. all outshining it. The 55-200 gets pretty good reviews, is inexpensive on it's own, and sometimes comes in kits with the body and 18-55 IS<br>

Follow Michael's advice on resellerratings, too many shady dealers out there, who, yes, advertise in otherwise respectable magazines. They'll seem okay at first, but you <em>will never get the items you want at the price they advertise</em>. </p>

<p>"I'm considering this camera. Okay for the beginner? canon eos rebel xs slr dig camera kit with 18-55mm IS lens and 75-300mm III lens"<br>

<br />It should be fine. There are a lot of cameras that are good for beginners: what you want in terms of features is manual control of exposure. You want to be able to set the f/stop, shutter speed, ISO and white balance yourself. If you can do those four things, everything else is gravy. If you *can't* manually set your camera, than it'll be a lot harder to learn how exposure works and what each component does. <br />The good thing is you don't need a Nikon D300 or a Canon EOS-1D to get it. But you do want to make sure whatever camera you are considering *does* offer it. If it doesn't have that, then you're just buying a glorified point & shoot.<br>

<br />Exposure is the bedrock of photography. Learning how it works and being able to set things yourself (or what the camera suggests) will pay off in the long run far more than any money you spend on optics, tripods, bags, digital imaging software, and so on.</p>

<p>James,<br>

Thank you. My interest in photography is strictly a hobby. The beautiful photos I see people produce just amaze me. When I took photography in college it was almost "therapeutic" , relaxing.<br>

I certainly do not see me becoming a professional . So purchasing anything beyond my budget or current capabilities would just be a waste and most likely very frustrating.<br>

So, thank you. I'm going to purchase the rebel xs. A very decent price for me. <br>

Have a great night.</p>

<p>Kelly</p>

<p>If it's worth anything, the beauty of a system camera like the Rebel XS, or the various Nikons, etc., is that you can still use parts of the system as you grow. If you buy a Rebel XS and a couple lenses, somewhere down the line you may decide to replace it with something higher up the line, like a Canon 5D. You'd still be able to use the lenses, flashes, on the new camera. If you decide to upgrade your lenses, they'll work on the camera. And so on. <br>

The point being that even if you think you're starting off on a modest budget, you're investing in system that can grow with you over time or as your needs change. </p>