i've got the longest one in the business...

chris_jordan3

yikes, i just bought a nine-foot-high tripod!!! it's by far the

tallest (and most cumbersome and heavy) camera support device i've

ever seen. i need a stepladder to see my ground glass through it!

the idea is to get myself up above the heads of crowds when doing

people photography. what a beast this is, but quite cool-- i'm looking

forward to trying it out. right now i'm trying to devise some kind of

cart to transport all my stuff (ladder included) around downtown

Seattle-- this is definitely not a sling-it-over-the-shoulder type of

unit. okay, that's my news for the day, carry on,

~cj

Gee, thanks a lot Chris. I was just sitting at my computer thinking that I needed to go to a larger negative - like maybe 8x10 or 11x14 or 12x20 when you had to go and tell me that you have a 9 foot tripod. And to make matters worse, somebody else has to tell me that Clyde Butcher has even a larger one. Now I need one too! And just when I thought I had about all the photographic items that I need.

I guess what I really need is to get over this bigger is better mentality. Maybe there is a 12-step program I can go to to help me through this. Or better yet, maybe there is a 14-step or 16 step or even a 12x20 step program......

Brian has the right idea. Just mount the tripod head on a step ladder. All that is needed is a 1/4 inch hole in the top of the ladder and a bolt through into the head. You can even mount side braces to the ladder so it is more stable. Suggest you don't carry a ladder through a residential area late at night.

REgards,

whoa those Luksa tripods are wild (better not be windy out)-- but how do you make the exposure? maybe set your 10-second timer and crank the camera up there as fast as you can? ha! i'm envisioning someone using one of those for peeping-tom photography-- looking into 5th-story apartments from street level...

~cj

SEATTLE TIMES, 6-11-01:

A man and a yak were detained by police this evening in the downtown area was looking like a peeping-tom -- looking into 5th-story apartments from street level. The man, identified as a Mr. ~cj, was seen leading the heavily laden yak on a long leash. Police officer Marge N. O' Verrah, questioned the odd couple at the scene. Mr. ~cj said, "I'm really a photographer. Honest. Wanna see my tripod?" Officer Marge said it was the largest she'd ever seen. Mr. ~cj was turned over to the station commander, Haywood U. Buzzoff, for further questioning.

The officer also questioned the yak, named Pickup N. Droppoff, regarding the suspicious appearance of the pair. Droppoff responded that . . ."I'm a rental yak from the local camera supply store." He was released on his own recognizance and was last seen heading in the direction of a local Starbucks carrying a 9' tripod (biggest one he'd ever seen), a 4x5 field camera and 10 sheet film holders. Said the yak, "Maybe I can be home in Bremerton by evening."

Submitted with tongue firmly in cheek and apologies to N. P. R., "Car Talk", Click and Clack - The Tappet Bros., Manual Transmission, Chris and yaks everywhere.

Oh, and also to Bremerton, WA - a very nice place.

Regards,

Steve

Chris, let us know where and when you're headed out to shoot. Those us in town will come watch. This promises to be at least as entertaining as the time one of my photographer friends decided to shoot Columbia Gorge waterfalls in November. He ended up wading neck deep in streams while holding US$ 3000 of camera gear over his head.