Which camera do you 'always come back to'?

<p>A third vote for the Retina IIa. Actually it was my only camera for about 25 years (except for an M2-R that I bought for a backup and didn't use for 10 years or so). My wife was annoyed because I always had Kodachrome in the Retina and couldn't get overnight developing for pictures of visiting relatives (hers) so I bought a Nikon One Touch at a yard sale for color print film which is actually a pretty good camera within its limitations. Then I retired and discovered EBay and bought a lot of $10-$20 cameras, many of which are also pretty good. My travel camera now is a Konica C35EF-3. But I have to start using the IIa and the M2-R more.</p>

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I thought my answer would be Pentax Spotmatic, or maybe the latest, a Leica IIIf...2008 has been an interesting year for us: cross-country move, 6 months in a cramped apartment, tanks and reels buried in a storage locker, searching for a house, buying a house, moving into house, not much time for photography, so I decided to count up the 2008 keepers...not many from the Leica, but it spent time out for a cla and shutter replacement, and the finders and lenses could use work. Didn't use the SPII as much as I normally would possibly due to not having a darkroom set up.</p>

<p>Counting up the 2008 "keepers", the winner is Olympus Trip 35. Didn't expect that at all.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I almost refused this gift from a widow relative. She gave me Minolta XD7 outfit. Back then (10/12 years ago) it

wasn't especially collectible. I didn't have any Minolta stuff.. why start. But meanwhile this is a breeze to use it is

almost telegenic. There never was a learn phase. And now after a battery check (I use it so seldom) I'm good to go

and I know what I'll get. I have any number o classics, and I tend to use them. But there the element of surpriseand

also having to think or wanting to think how I can use them.. that's the fun and why I seldom use the Minilta.. but

when I do it's .. Aaahh so nice!<br>

&nbsp

<p>Just one camera? Oh well, it has to be my black Nikkormat FT2 with 24mm f2.8 & 50mm f2 Nikkor - which is currently being serviced.</p>

<p>However, my F2AS, Spotmatic F (with similar lenses), Retina II and Leica IIIb (with 5cm f3.5 Elmar) are only a whisker away from taking top place.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For 35mm it'd be an easy choice, my Retina IIa. For medium format, it gets harder. I love my Mamiya C2 and C220 with the 80mm f-2.8 Sekor lens and the 180mm lens. I also love my 2 x 3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic with 101 Ektar in Synchro-Rapid 800 shutter, a 135 f-4.5 Optar, and 6 x 7mm rapid wind rollfilm holder. I started with a Baby Speed Graphic back in the late 70's, so have a very soft spot in my heart for Speed Graphics, but those Mamiya TLR's are so nice to use. Decisions, decisions...<br>

Dave</p>

<p>I would have a hard time nailing it down to 20.  I will offer my top 3.  1) Canon T90  2) Minolta XD11   3) Nikon FE2.<br>

Left out of this list are several Leica Ms, Nikon's F, F2, F3, F4, F100, Canon F-1, FTb, Spotmatics, Contax IIa, Voightlander Prominents, Vitessa's, Vito's, Retina IIIC.  Also left out is my first ever 35 mm camera, the immortal Konica auto S2.<br>

I do hold special affection for the Retina IIa, which was my first classic.  It became our primary when my wife forgot to pack her Canon electronic-do-everything on a trip to the UK in 1985, and it performed flawlessly, with exposure selected via the instructions in the little yellow cardboard box.<br>

My criterion was which camera do I rely on to get it right.</p>

<p>Tuff question it appears. <br>

The post topic asks which "you always come back to?"   I tend to come back to my 1950's Speed Graphic 23 with the 135mm Optar. <br>

But that's a long well grounded relationship built on trust.  But a good fling now and then gets the blood flowing anew, and my relationship with the little Speed Graphic has always been honest and open.  And while I always find security and a good time with that camera, short term tends toward the more current action.  Ussually mature, older, and on the large side with a tight rear and a lot up front.  I tried petite recently, but the real story of late filled the bill for a more satisfying fling. <br>

Awsome body, well taken care of and showing very little signs of wear.  Big tight back end, and plenty up front.  This one's ready for anything.                  </p><div>00Rkac-96309584.jpg.156852d00207f19b6000a70a464f5775.jpg</div>

<p>Tough question; the thing is that I never managed to use all of my cameras because I keep buying new ones (well, not new - you know what I mean). Definitely the one that I used the most is my Pentax Spotmatic on 35mm format followed by my Yashica D on medium format. It was said over and over again but it is true: so many cameras so little time... I love this craziness</p>

<p>The real keeper -- Leica M2. Everything you need, nothing you don't, superb Leica lenses available both used and new, unobtrusive, simple, straightforward, direct, durable, and it just feels right. Plus parts and service are still available, and it can use more affordable LTM lenses with an adapter. The one I reach for first, unless I need a long telephoto.<br>

Second choice -- Nikon F with prism finder. A little too big, too heavy and too noisy for my taste, but precise, built to last, a wide range of excellent lenses available used, and good handling.<br>

Had a Canon TLb that I got new, years ago. It was a great camera, and the lenses were excellent, but I just plain wore it out, and the repair shop couldn't get the parts to fix the lever wind. Got a used FTQL as a replacement, but it was pretty beat up. <br>

Also had an Olympus 35 SPn years ago. It was a discount Leica -- excellent semi-wide 42mm lens, fast enough (f/1.7) for available-light shooting, bright viewfinder, fairly quiet shutter, and good results, although no interchangeable lenses and less robust construction than a Leica. I was able to take usable hand-held photos by candlelight with that camera. The 35 RC is similar, but slower (f/2.8) and smaller.</p>

<p>My 6.5x9 Maximar "A" Plate Camera ! You can fold it up and put it in your pocket. You can use it as a hand camera. You can put it on a tripod to shoot macro or portraits. You can shoot glass or metal plates, or film with it. You can shoot 120 roll film with it. You get big medium format negatives. You can shoot one or two plates and not need to do a whole roll before you process. Bottom line you can do almost anything with it. What more could you ask for.</p>