Vietnam tour or solo travel

ed_tobin

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I am planning on going to Vietnam by myself for 5 to 6 weeks inclusive of travel from the USA and back.<br>

This is my first time to this country and I have read many of the postings including the Vietnam photographers guide but I one question that I keep wrestling.<br>

Do I just go and deal with all of the details of hotel and local travel when i arrive or do I join a tour four a couple of weeks then go on my own once I am orientated?</p>

<p>The tour that a neighbor recommended is http://www.oattravel.com/gcc/general/default.aspx?oid=226223&linklocation=search. This tour company will reduce the price by about $1000 since I will be using my frequent flier miles for travel to and from the USA<br>

I would be grateful for the views and thoughts of thoses that have traveled to Vietnam</p>

<p>Thanks--Ed</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I recently went to Vietnam completely solo (I booked everything online by myself, and even where I hadn't booked anything, I sorted things on the spot) and I have this to say (with regard to the itinerary you linked): 60% of the beauty that is Vietnam (and it IS an amazing place, let me tell you that) is all the inbetween places this itinerary seems to be missing by flying you from Hanoi down to Hue and then rushing you in a single day to Dalat (and so on and so forth).<br>

It took me 17 days to drive from Saigon to Hanoi and back and I would stop wherever I wanted, stayed for as long as I wanted, even wait for an hour for that perfect shot (!).  I shared meals with the locals in small fishing huts, I've helped a family gather their fishing catch - I joined in the life as much as I could.  How did I do that?<br>

I found a cool hotel in Saigon and asked them if they could find me a car for rent (with a driver, since foreigners are not allowed to drive in Vietnam) for the next 15 days.  They did, the price was staggeringly low (if I remember well, something around 500-600 bucks all inclusive - petrol, driver, driver's meals and accommodation, tolls, etc) and I booked it.  With my driver in my disposal, I simply directed him wherever I wanted, whenever I wanted.  I did give him a basic backbone itinerary in the beginning though, but we varied quite a bit ;-)<br>

Hotels were extremely well cared for, even the cheap ones, and I found almost all of them through the Lonely Planet guide (which, for Vietnam, is terrific, truly on the spot!).  Regarding stops and sights, I spent about 2 months researching almost everything on the net and I was pretty well versed in what I wanted to see and do while there.  And I am happy to say I did everything and then some...;-)<br>

But then again, that is me.  I like to travel outside groups and love to see the results of my research...;-)))  If you want to see some photos, check out http://www.mariosforsos.com/gallery/6003706_vB5SW#393383100_7fiFn<br>

let me know if you need any other advice...</p>

<p>Thanks and let me say your photographs are amazing and I dream of taking images of the same quality as yours. I read your travel blog which appears to follow a similar route that you took.  Do you have any details on the hotels or the detail itinerary that you started with? I am trying to get a sense if I am in a different hotel everynight or if I stay in an area for a few nights and do day trips<br>

Did you book you hotels before arriving in Vietnam and if so how much in advance did you book?<br>

What time of year did you go ? I am thinking of May<br>

If you had to do it again what would you have done differently?</p>

<p>thanks--Ed</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Let me start with the easy answers - lenses: I took my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, my 80-200 f/2.8 Nikkor and my 85 f/1.8 Nikkor.  And SB600 flash and my tripod.  A polariser and not much else.  I wish I had a wider lens (as I was using my D200 at the time - I own a D700 now) and in some cases I missed it, but otherwise, the two basic lenses were more than enough.  Tripod is a must for evening shots too.  Oh, and be kind to the people there - they love having their photos taken, but don't treat them as "subjects" as I saw far too many photographers do...they deserve a kind smile, maybe a showing of their images on your LCD and, if you promise to send them copies, then do! I've made some friends there who loved getting their nice, glossy A4 prints...;-)))<br>

I started my trip in the last week of April and ended in in early May.  Weather-wise it was VERY hot (upwards of 35C most of the time), sunny and without a single hint of rain.  It only rained for about 15 mins on my last day in Saigon.<br>

I had my Saigon, my Hanoi and my Hoi An hotels prebooked (I'll track down the names and send them to you if you give me an e-mail address) - all the others I simply booked when I arrived in each town/village.<br>

Personally, I found a lot more interesting stuff south of Hoi An, rather than between Hoi An and Hanoi.  Mind you, I didn't go up north to the Sapa region (from my calculations, I didn't have time - calculations which proved correct BTW).  Hanoi itself impressed me very little as did Halong Bay.  Of course, from my research, it appears that this was because I went at a time of the year when the bay itslef is not at its best - too sunny, very humid, very bright - nothing like the dreamy photos we've all seen.<br>

If I would ever do it again I'd take more time.  One thing with Vietnam is that you really cannot count on travelling at more than 60-70km/h on the A1 (that's the one and main highway connecting Saigon to Hanoi) due to the fact that it passes through every single village and town on the way.  Therefore, a distance of 300km which in almost every other country would take 3hrs, may stretch to over 6 or more...sometimes I was forced to skip a thing I had wanted to see in order to see another and so forth.<br>

Saigon, you need approximately 2 whole days to get a glimpse of.  3 or 4 is better.  The Mekong Delta is definitely something you should not miss. There are tons of little tours available at various hotels in Saigon - opt for the one lasting two days.  Dalat, the town, is nothing amazing - only at night you will find something to enjoy, but the area around is magnificent - two nights there with side trips is highly recommended.  DaNang is also very nice - a bit of beach buming there is a nice break.  Hoi An is the jewel of them all...stay a week there if you can and make side trips to Hue, the Marble Mountains, China Beach, My Son and so on and so forth.  It was the best place I saw in Vietnam by far!!!<br>

Far too many places and things to tell you - MArble Mountains are a test of your fitness, as is Hue (and the Imperial Tombs) - those places are MASSIVE and they take HOURS to walk through - let alone stand and take photos!<br>

One piece of invaluable advice: in the more frequented places (Hue, Hoi An center, My Son, etc) go EARLY in the morning.  6am is best.  After that (around 9ish) the tourist caravans arrive and the place becomes teeming with multicoloured t-shirts and shorts...</p>

<p>It depends. A former colleague of mine went on a tour, but it was not a mass market tour, i.e. 50 people and stop there and 10 minutes to go to the toilet and take the pictures and then everybody back on the bus. They were four people and a two local guides traveling with a minibus, the tour operator asked about their interests and everything was planned accordingly. Of course, those things don't come cheap, but my friend said it was worth every Euro. He was the only one interested in pictures. The guide used to pick him up before the others and bring him to spots where he could catch the sunrise, and then drive him back to the hotel for breakfast with the others.</p>

<p>Marios,</p>

<p>thank you so much for sharing this information. My email address is ed@pictorlumen.com</p>

<p>I shot with a 5D which is a full frame so I do not get any magnification. I was planning on packing only 2 lenses<br>

24-105/f4 and my 70-200/f4. I have wider and faster lens but I was not planning on taking them (16-35/f2.8 and 28-70f2.8)<br>

Given the size of the country there does not appear to be a perfect time to visit all regions. Am I correct that most of your photographs on you website were taken earlier in the day or later in the afternoon and that mid day you traveled?<br>

</p>

<p>You're right about the time the photos were taken - with the exception of My Son, when I was there in the middle of the day (at that time there is a kind of a performance in the small theatre at the beginning of the site and as a result the site itself is deserted - which shows on the photos ;-).<br>

Your lenses seem fine to me - think about the 16-35 however as most temples are magificent sites but do not afford enough space to take it all in.  The wider you go the better I think.<br>

Climate-wise, I don't think you'll have much problems.  Again, May in theory is the beginning of the rainy season, so be forewarned.<br>

I'll send you the stuff as soon as I can...</p>

<p>Ed I have traveled in Vietnam a fair bit. Get a Rough Guide, all arrangements can be done on the spot easily and cheaply, apart from long distance train travel at busy times (Tet etc) one days notice is normally needed. Don't go with a tour, as Marios said you miss so much. Bus travel, horrible but very cheap, and train travel, much better and you get to meet real Vietnamese are the way to go.</p>

<p>Three most important/photogenic spots, Hoi An, Hoi An and Hoi An, with Hue a close second. Make sure you get out early, don't spend any time there during the tourist/tour busy hours, and then go back out for late afternoon, it is beautiful.</p>

<p>Lenses, I would take the 16-35 and the 70-200, but that is me and a very personal thing.</p>

<p>Take care and have a blast, Scott.</p>

<p> I like to travel solo but hire a person with a car and in so doing gain a translator, guide, and someone to watch the car and my extra gear in the trunk.<br>

For shooting in that area there are great opportunities along the river communities which is where a Canon 100-400mm would be my first choice with a 5D. For shooting in markets and street scenes the 24-105mm is fine, but for interiors the 16-35mm would be the best lens as even 24mm is not wide enough at times.<br>

For interiors the flash bounced off walls or ceiling makes a big difference in the "available light" for the camera and is easier to manage than a tripod.<br>

There is a dry and a wet season and you definitely do not want to be in country during the wet season. Even during the dry season mosquitos are prolific and I spray all my clothing with a permythrin solution that I buy in bulk and then dilute with water for application with a garden sprayer. Much better than slathering bug repellant on yourself throughout the day.<br>

There are travel packages available that cover airfare and hotels in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam and these can provide significant savings. I have found it much easier to do Internet bookings for hotels and drivers in this part of the world than in most of Europe.</p>

<p>Ed, let me be your guide, I speak Vietnamese fluently. Just Kidding, I agree about getting yourself a driver. A professional driver knows where you can eat and stay. Don't go on tours, they tend to rush you too much and you'll end up with little time to do any photography. First you need to book for a hotel, when you arrive ask the front desk for a personal driver, they should be able to recommend you one.<br>

With the 5D, if you want travel light, just bring the 24-105 f/4L IS.</p>

<p>I agree with the idea that to bring 24-105 IS but if your bags still have enough space, I would say 24-70mm and 70-200mm will be a good combination for taking picture in Vietnam. You don't need anything else. If you plan to visit the whole country, I recommend you book air ticket that arrive VN at Saigon and leave VN from Hanoi, so that you can go cross the country and don't waste time and money to go back. There is a place in Saigon which is called Backpackers Town by locals. It is located on Bui Vien street and Pham Ngu Lao street. You will find many Tourist Company there that offer "Open Tour". Open tour means when you buy a bus ticket to go anywhere in Vn such as Hanoi.. You can stay in any city on the route as long as you want. and continue your trip anytime you want. It really cheap and good service. They also book a hotel for you . It's cheaper than buying a ticket at terminal bus station which just for locals. Around this "backpackers town" have many good restaurants and hotels that have good services and no over-charge. You will have alot of information about tours from this street. If you are a pro photographer or a journalist, I recommen you to go to Ha Giang, the most northern town in VN, where now is a paradise for journalist photographers.</p>

<p>go solo! you do not need to bok anything ahead of time....it will only cost you money.</p>

<p>it can all easily be done in country.</p>

<p>e mail me if you would like a contact persone in VN. my brother (who lived there for 5 years) and i have know him for over ten years. he is in HCMC.</p>

<p>have fun</p>

• 7 months later...

<p>Yes! i think so and recommended you go to Ha Giang to take photo.<br>

Ha Giang, 300 km away from Hanoi, located at the highest latitude in Vietnam. It is surrounded by Cao Bang, Tuyen Quang, Lao Cai, and Yen Bai. It shares a border with China in the north. Many ethnic minorities, including the Dao, H’mong, Tay, and Nung, live in Ha Giang province Vietnam.<br>

</p>

• 3 weeks later...