Report current issues with the new text editor here...

joshroot

<p>Okay,</p>

<p>So the introduction of the new WYSIWYG text editor didn't go as smoothly as we had hoped. There were a bunch of problems that popped up which we were unable (for various reasons) to catch when testing. Such is life. That's the way it goes sometimes in the wild wild web.</p>

<p>The programmers have been working on things and fixing issues. So rather than muddy the waters on the original thread, I'm hoping to hear reports of current issues here on this new thread. I'll keep a running list going.</p>

<p>Thanks for your patience everyone.<br>

<strong><br /> </strong><br>

<strong>Current known issues:</strong></p>

<p>Well, with IE7, editing in the text box is still causing me some excitement.<br /><br />A single CR ([ENTER] keystroke) at the end of a line produces what looks like a new paragraph in the editing box... but does some very odd things in the preview. On the preview view, the paragraph break appears to turn instead into a single line feed.<br /><br />I've taken to using a double SHIFT-ENTER to produce two single line feeds manually, which then seems to stick. Earlier today I was seeing some seemingly random NBSP's in the middle of words... but that's not happening right now.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>A single CR ([ENTER] keystroke) at the end of a line produces what looks like a new paragraph in the editing box... but does some very odd things in the preview. On the preview view, the paragraph break appears to turn instead into a single line feed.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Okay, this actually isn't a "glitch" as such. It's just that the line spacing in the text box looks different than it does one the forum page. One [CR] will get you a single new line, two [CR]'s will get you a paragraph break. Just like everyone is used to in other programs.</p>

<p>It just looks a little strange.</p>

<p>I don't know if you noticed the earlier post I had done on the reduction of paragraph markers as you do changes with the (edit) button. Where you had two, it gets reduced to one unless you put them back in. It's not a problem for me, but thought you might want to know...</p>

<p>I gave up on a post this morning. I tried to make a small update after the initial entry, and it started to put gaps in words and make new lines and add a bunch of symbals. Then I correct the new errors and got even more. And on and on and on.</p>

<p>Other than that , it works fine with IE7. The above was a one shot problem.</p>

<p>I would really like to upsize the text to the size posted. I can barely read it as I type. Increasing text size in IE 7 does not do it. About double would do fine.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Is someone working right now on the spell checker problem? I wonder because <strong>some</strong> words are definitely showing up with red dots under them (e.g., some German words). However, when I typed in a bunch of misspelled words, most of them were NOT marked. (Intel Mac running Firefox 3.04, OS 10.5.5). Just reporting, not complaining.<br /> Ein Reich - the Ein is marked, but Reich and gibbbberish are not.</p>

<p>With Firefox, there is a known bug in the gecko spellchecker setting for TinyMCE where a misspelling that is the first word in a line will be marked, but not elsewhere. I'm trying to figure out a workaround, but I'm not inclined to try to debug TinyMCE itself.</p>

<p>A couple of bugs I reported yesterday concerning the mouseover event in the box. Pasting into the box doesn't work until I move the mouse. The other problem I mentioned about the mouseover event intefering with the use of other program windows, doesn't seem to be happening anymore. I am on IE7 and Windows. By the way, the 'update' problem is still happening to me, but I haven't FULLY cleared my cache yet. When I do, I will test again and let you know. Cheers.</p>

<p>I quite understand why links to current eBay auctions are not allowed.<br>

However, the system also will no longer allow <em><strong>any</strong> </em> links to <strong>guides</strong> and <strong>reviews</strong> on eBay. This seems to be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. There are lots of decent and useful guides and reviews on eBay (I've even written a few myself, if I may say so). These have no connection with any particular sale or item, although it is true that eBay shows "relevant" auctions alongside, but these change with the times and don't seem to warrant a total ban on any link to eBay sites of whatever kind. I had formerly posted such links with no problems.</p>

<p>Jin, I understand your not taking on Tiny MCE, but somehow the spell checker worked <em>before</em> the recent alterations. Anyway, if necessary, I can live without it, especially with the new (edit) capability, for which you are still eligible for sainthood in my calendar.</p>

<p>i have deleted my cache and cookies and will try an update,.<br />here i go with an update..... here's some more text.....<br />here's even more text.....<br>

Hey, it's working! Although it is changing the formatting a bit. I originally had a double cr between paragraphs, but with each update it reduces the previous one to a single.</p>

<p>let's try an edit..... (by the way, the html editor seems to be working now too). Well done.</p>

<p>JDM,</p>

<p>I'm confused about the ebay thing. I'm having no problems setting ebay links.</p>

<p>Some specific forums on photo.net block links to ebay because of past abuse. But that block has nothing to do with the text editor and has been around for years.</p>

<p>I'm confused too. Twice I pasted in links to a guide on eBay<br /> here's the link: http://reviews.ebay.com/Tamron-SP-AF90mm-F-2-8-Di-Macro-1-1-for-Canon-272E_W0QQugidZ10000000001425169<br /> Once I pasted it in as a <a title="tamron" href="http://reviews.ebay.com/Tamron-SP-AF90mm-F-2-8-Di-Macro-1-1-for-Canon-272E_W0QQugidZ10000000001425169" title="tamron">link</a> and the second time just as text as above<br /> Both times I was shunted to a "no links to active auctions on eBay" message<br /> Here goes again</p>

<p>Obviously this worked now, perhaps some new filter was being tried out? Anyway, thanks for trying to help me.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would really like to upsize the text to the size posted. I can barely read it as I type. Increasing text size in IE 7 does not do it. About double would do fine.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Using Firefox, Safari, and IE6 I see no real difference in text size. There was a big difference the first day we put the editor in, but the text was increased as it quickly became aparent that it was too small. But that increase was back on saturday or sunday.</p>

<p>Are you running photo.net with an increased text size? Because if so, it would look like the text in the box was smaller. And no, the text size over ride would not work to increase it. Over riding most any site's style sheet is likey to cause weird results.</p><div>00RlKr-96673584.jpg.6575c98fe7c959abc2cd09c411c2bd10.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>I don't know if you noticed the earlier post I had done on the reduction of paragraph markers as you do changes with the (edit) button. Where you had two, it gets reduced to one unless you put them back in. It's not a problem for me, but thought you might want to know...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Jin reports that this should be fixed now.</p>

<p>And in my testing, it appears to be so.</p>

<p>Well, I deliberately don't edit the above post to illustrate things.<br>

Improvements over last time:</p>

<ul>

<li>I can post links. </li>

</ul>

<p>Still need improvement:</p>

<ul>

<li>The title of the link doesn't work. </li>

<li>I marked only the word "Quote" when I pressed the quote button but all the text - including the line below it - were getting quoted. </li>

</ul>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>

<p>The title thing should be removed. People expect it to work a specific way and that isn't the case.</p>

<p>To use quote:</p>

<ul>

<li>press the quote button</li>

<li>write or paste in your text</li>

<li>press return/enter</li>

<li>press quote button again to turn off</li>

<li>Write the non-quoted part of your post.</li>

</ul>

<p>The quote thing can't just quote a single word in a line, that isn't the way that the <blockquote> tag works. It isn't like bold or italics.</p>

<p>

<p>One last thing, when I want to insert a picture via the button I am asked to write down a link. I expect a 'Browse' button. Thus I am forced to upload images the old fashioned way. That is why I write multiple posts if I want to upload multiple images.<br>

Last word: Thanks for all the improvements Josh. It is indeed long overdue.<br>

Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>

</p><div>00RlQE-96721684.JPG.2372e32313440461cd20ba0ca9bbf950.JPG</div>