Anyone travelling Delta airlines recently with 500mm lens in carry on?

oleksandr_holovachov

Hello,

Since the TSA rules and airline restrictions change almost daily, I would be interested to hear the recent

experience from peoples travelling with long lenses in their carry-on luggage on the plane. I'll be flying Delta

withing the US in a couple of weeks and want to bring my Canon nFD 500mm F4.5 lens along on my trip, together

with one SLR body and a couple of other lenses. However, since it is big and heavy, and I never took it on the

plane before, I'm somewhat concerned about the problems that I can possibly encounter with Transportation

Security Administration trying to get on the plane. The tripod will be shipped by UPS with some camping gear

before the trip.

Share Your experience please, and not only about Delta airlines. Thank You in advance.

Alex

TSA and Delta are completely different entities. You need to contact them separately. Furthermore, each airport interprets the TSA rules slightly differently, so if you have any questions regarding TSA rules, you need to contact the airport. They will have to determine if the lens could be used as a weapon-probably not likely, but you never know.

Oleksandr,

If it meets these criteria it will pass both TSA and Delta checkpoints. Print this page and take it with you,

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/baggage_allowance/index.jsp

Also make sure you don't have film in your camera and it has charged batteries, TSA often want to open the camera (FD pre digital) .

DELTA AIRLINES

Carry-on Baggage

All Delta passengers are allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item that meet the criteria below.

Size and Weight Restrictions

If your carry-on bag doesn't meet these size and weight restrictions it must be checked, and all checked baggage rules will apply. Your bag must:

* Weigh less than 40 pounds (18 kg).

* Not exceed 45 inches (length + width + height).

* Fit easily in our SizeCheck® unit (approximately 22"x14"x9").

* Fit in an overhead bin or underneath the seat in front of you.

Personal Items

You're allowed one personal item from this sample list:

* Purses, briefcases, camera cases, and diaper bags

* Laptop computers (can’t be checked and must be carried on)

* Items of a similar or smaller size to those above

Other Carry-on Items Allowed

You may also bring these items onboard. They do not count toward your personal item.

* Food items for immediate consumption

* Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or crutches

* One box or bag of duty free merchandise

* A coat, jacket, or umbrella

Take care, Scott.

<p>Thanks Scott for Your explicit answer. I did check the Delta website myself and I'm glad You are confirming my findings.</p>

<p>But then, I've heard some ridiculous histories from passengers that had to check in a cardboard/plastic tube with the poster (cant remember the right word now) since it is supposedly "can be used as a weapon", etc. I was hoping to hear actual stories from peopes personal experience.</p>

<p>Anyway, thank You Scott, You made me feel a bit safer.</p>

<p>Hi there Oleksandr,</p>

<p>I don't have a 500 but have travelled a lot with a 300 2.8 and lots of other stuff, I have never had a security/TSA issue. I put all my gear in a Lowepro back pack, it is obviously carry on sized and it always gets closely inspected, swabed etc but I have never been pulled up for it. The UK has far and away the worst, most pedantic, and attitude riddled airport security, they have toned it down in the last year or so but I ended up routing so I didn't do UK stops to avoid them. They had insisted on only one item and 7KG weight limit, irrespective of the airlines and they rigidly enforced it.</p>

<p>Take care and keep the FD gear going, I went EOS a few years ago after 25+ years of FD, Scott.</p>

<p>Olek, TSA knows everything. They  know which ones are photography stuffs and which ones are weapons.  They've been seeing those things almost everyday. Two years ago, I carried on board a 40lb bag of lens, and most of those lenses is metal M42.</p>