Distagon 25/2.8 ZF

andre_bosmans

I am considering to buy the 25/2.8 Distagon for my d300. As I am used to mf from my Leica m6 mf is not an issue. Would

like to have your opinion on (a) the necessity to swap the standard focusing screen for a Katz or other mf screen? (b) can

you rely on the dof scale on the lens and use the hyperfocus method?

Would use this lens as a more portable walk around lens to complement my 17/55 2.8 and 50/1.4. Thanks for your thoughts.

Since this lens is probably designed for full frame not DX the DOF scale will not be appropriate. You need to use the markings for a aperture about 1 stop wider than that set on the camera. For example is the camera is set to f/8 use the f/5.6 markings on the lens.

Since DX gives more depth than FX this may sound counter-intuitive but it's true.

You should be to set the infinity mark to the far DOF mark and get a sharp(ish) image from half the focussed distance to infinity but I don't know good the DOF scale is on this particular lens.

On a DX camera I would say that using a Katz Eye screen (or other 3rd party) is highly recommended.

I sometimes use the distance scale and DOF marks, that seems to work ok. The Zeiss distance scales, the infinity

mark etc. seem to be very accurate compared to many Nikkors in which e.g. the infinity mark is often quite a bit off.

You may also want to consider the upcoming 21mm f/2.8 ZF.

Peter, as Andre noted the Zeiss 25 is much smaller and lighter than the 17-55.

Well there is a serious side to my comment above. One benefit of the larger sensor is the larger viewfinder. So

for manual focus I see a real advantage for the larger format. In a way it hurts to put this lens on a small

sensor even though it makes sense because of the high pixel density of the D300 to put the best glass in front of it.

<p>I have a Katz Eye on the D200. The split-circle focus and the green dot AF focus points agree very closely using Nikkor 20/2.8, 24/2.8, 35/2. 50/1.4-S and 105/2.5 lenses. My D300 AF handles these MF lenses much better than my D200 AF does. My D300 (no Katz Eye) works really well with these lenses. I will not invest in a Katz Eye for the D300. I think the DOF at 25mm and the D300 AF system will work well together. The focus scale method will be reliable. I like to use the smallest lens that is practical, so I like the idea of not carrying the heavy zooom. Finally, my Zeiss ZM (rangefinder) lenses draw lovely images, and just don't flare. I suspect the ZF lenses will serve you well.</p>