Bronica GS-1 AE

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a MF system since it finally became affordable (to me) and always wanted one.

I have looked at the Bronica GS-1 but don't really understand much about how to do AE.

I have looked at the threads about that camera and I haven't seen an answer to my question.

So, they have several viewfinders: http://www.tamron.com/bronica/prod/gs_vfind.asp

The one that comes with the equipment I am interested in includes the waist-level finder, so my question is does that one have AE

capabilities?

If it does, is the metering spot metering?, center metering? I hope it is not a stupid question coming from a 35mm user.

If it does not, then I guess I would have to buy one of those handheld meters, right? Or there is any other way? Someone said that the

camera had a metering system, so I am confused.

AE + Automatic Exposure! The waist level finder you are most likely discussing does only viewing; by correcting the

image to be viewed as seen, not inverted and reversed as seen directly on a focusing screen. You will require a

handheld light meter if you are using the waist level finder or a Prism Finder G which again provides same viewing as

your waist level finder but at eye level.

The AE view finders are electronic, powered by the body's battery. It will read your exposure (it is a light meter) and

will also automatically set the shutter speed to correspond with aperture priority. That means you set the f stop you

choose to be shooting at and the viewfinder sets the shutter speed. There is also a manual mode which requires

you to set both the aperture and shutter speed.

The camera does have a metering function - it though has to be married to an AE finder.

I believe the GS AE Finders are center average metered; the Bronica ETRSi (645 format) AEIII finder has both a

center and spot meter option, while the

Hope this helps.....

Craig Tomash

<p>Two minor additions to Craig's response. First, the GS-1 has a built-in meter that manages the TTL flash function

e

ven

without the AE prism, but only if you are using the dedicated G flash with the speed grip.&nb

sp;

Second, ther

e is another AE prism, the rotary finder, that is useful when you need to shoot in the vertical ("po

rtrait") format or at a low angle. The rotary finder offers both center-weighted <em>and</em> spot metering options

. In my experience, there are relatively few of these out there on the used market. I've used the G

S- 1 syste

m for mor

e than a dec

ade and enjoy it a lot. Hope you do as well.<br>

����������������

<p>Craig, Richard: Thank you very much!</p>

<p>Your posts completely answered my question.</p>

<p>It really helps since now I know how that equipment stands with the other options (Mamiya, Pentax 67). I understand now that I would have to buy the AE prism or a hand-held meter, the one Richard mentions sounds fantastic.</p>

<p>When I saw it, I almost bought the camera (body, back, waist-level finder, lens 100mm, grip, only $300), and it has that real classical beauty.</p>

<p>I think I am going to ask it for Christmas and then get the AE prism. I was thinking about asking for my first dSLR body, but, digital can wait :-). I will enjoy this so much more.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Get yourself an inexpensive Nikon or Canon digital body and long zoom as well. You can even use it as a light meter for your Bronica instead of taking polaroids. (See Ken Rockwell's site on this subject.) I own a 90% complete GS-1 system and find a Nikon D40 with 18-200mm lens adds to the fun and is very affordable. <br>

I got lucky and found a mint rotary finder recently for only $400. Be patient and you'll find the accessory you want at any given time. I just wish the 500mm lens were more affordable. However, I own both teleconverters and the 250mm lens so I can get close.<br>

Post your experiences with this medium format system. I'd be interested in your input. Anyone out there try a Metz flash for ttl use? What adaptor did you use? Thanks in advance.<br>

---Bruce Fichelson</p>

<p>Get yourself an inexpensive Nikon or Canon digital body and long zoom as well. You can even use it as a light meter for your Bronica instead of taking polaroids. (See Ken Rockwell's site on this subject.) I own a 90% complete GS-1 system and find a Nikon D40 with 18-200mm lens adds to the fun and is very affordable. <br>

I got lucky and found a mint rotary finder recently for only $400. Be patient and you'll find the accessory you want at any given time. I just wish the 500mm lens were more affordable. However, I own both teleconverters and the 250mm lens so I can get close.<br>

Post your experiences with this medium format system. I'd be interested in your input. Anyone out there try a Metz flash for ttl use? What adaptor did you use? Thanks in advance.<br>

---Bruce Fichelson</p>