Tripod colar to use with 2x extender

jira

Hello,

I now use a 80-200/4L and 2x extender combo. Is there a dedicated tripod colar for this? In other post somebody

mentioned Olympus tripod colar, but I'm not really sure what exactly or where to get it.

Thank you,

jiri

Jiri, I have the Olympus tripod collar that works with the Canon 2xB-TC extender (see my photo gear pics here)

Photo Gear

(See images titled: CanonF-1n/200mmIF-01 and -02).

There's currently what I think is the same collar for auction on eBay (Ebay Item Nr 220287904859). Please know that I have no connection

with the eBay seller nor can I guarantee the item being sold is the same model as the one I have. There's no model nr. FWIW, I got my

collar from Mr Dennis Kushner, a member here and on Yahoo.

Don B in Hampton Roads

Don, I looked at the auctioned colar. The seller says it has inner diameter of 65mm. I measured my teleconverter and it is 60mm. Can the colar be tightened to accomodate for the size difference?

Thank you

Jiri, The only thing I positively know is that the Olympus collar I have will tighten down and hold a Canon 2XB TC. What

I don't know is whether the collar I have is identical to the collar advertised in the eBay Auction. There is no model

designation I can find. FWIW, my collar is marked on the bottom identical to the ones in the eBay ad. If I had to bet I

would say they're probably the same collar but I cannot know that. Maybe the seller would agree to sell you a collar with

the proviso if it doesn't fit your extender he will take it back and return your money. I'm sorry that's all I can offer. The

last thing I want to do is cause you to spend your money then not be able to use the collar.

Wish you luck,

Don B in Hampton Roads

<p>Don, Jiri- I did purchase one of those collars and based on your (Don) description they are not the same. Not only is the insde diameter if the collar too large, there is also what appears to be a locating "nub" cast into the collar's inner diameter.  The collar cannot be tightened enough for a snug fit.  It should be easy enough to grind the nub away but I still haven't decided what to do about the space between the collar ID and TC's OD.</p>

<p>Steven, The one I sold to Don probably I modified by adding new self adhesive velcro strips to the inside of the ring. It was a snug slide on fit on the 2X extender. The soft velcro looks close enough to original material on other Canon mount rings if your material wearing out & a bit thicker. I'd try this before giving up on the Oly ring. </p>

<p>If my measurements are correct, the 2xB has an outer diameter of 63 mm. The FD50 extension tube also has a 63 mm diameter.<br /> There are lots of cheap Canon "lookalikes" on the 'bay that advertise an inner diameter of 65 mm. Do a search on "canon tripod mount" or "canon tripod collar" and a whole pile of them show up. You can get one for less than $15 with free shipping. Just make sure that the inner diameter is 65 mm. <br /> It looks to me like if one glues a tab of velcro (not the hook side but the fuzzy side) onto the inside of the thing you're off to the races.</p>

<p>Well, I finished the mod last night per Dennis' instructions and it appears that the e-bay Olympus collar is the same as Don's. I removed the original cushion strip that was on the inner ID of the collar. I then went ahead and ground off the nub. I stuck on the furry side of the velcro strip. The velcro I used may be a little too thick because the collar now does not close completely when I lightly tighten the knob. I suppose if I really crank down on the knob, it will close completely.<br>

Having accomplished that, I just saw on E-bay a "vintage" Canon tripod collar that is supposed to have a 63mm ID. Seller wants $60, though.</p>

<p>Congrats Steven, If the collar still holds the load of a TC plus lens (maybe a 200mm or a zoom) even though not completely closed when the knob is tightened I would regard that as extra wear room. I am so pleased with mine. I use it with my 200mm 2.8 IF. Shifting the CoG forward and turning from horizontal to vertical frame while maintaining a balanced position over the tripod post is invaluable.</p>

<p>Don B in Hampton Roads</p>