Need up close....for cheap!

stuart_lombard

I know that I have posted on this before, so please be patient... I am wanting to find the cheapest way to get up

close with wildlife. I have a D40 and bought a telephoto lens (believe 70-300??) but would really like something

stronger. I am working on a TIGHT budget, so something older would work just fine, as long as it gets be in

close. Thanks!

Is your need urgent? Do you know exactly when and where you'll use a lens longer than 300mm?

There are two avenues for this;

1) A catadioptric lens (aka mirror lens). They are usually found in AI or AIS mount, so they may be used in the D40, but

they won't do any AF or (probably) metering. Besides, they're terribly slow with a fixed aperture of f8. Get a tripod...

2) Rent a lens. Look up cameralensrentals.com and check them out.

Take care!

I do not know exactly when I'll use the lens...we own over 100 acres of land in SW MO and it's full of deer. I have a tripod stand next to a field and am guaranteed to see deer every day, it's just a matter of getting good pictures of them. And I do not need the best of lenses, I just need something that will work and produce good pictures. I will try and look into the catadioptric and teleconverters. If anyone has any info to get me started into the type I'll need or where to find them, the information would be appreciated.

An older Sigma, Tokina, Tamron or Nikkor 400mm f5.6 might be found for $200-$500. You will not get auto focus and probably no metering. That may be a deal breaker with the view finder of the D40. I had decent success with an old Nikkor 400mm f5.6 ED-IF with big mammals at Yellowstone two years back on a D200 with metering. I now have a 500mm f4 and use a TC 14 with it. If you want auto focus then your choices will be very limited. There are also some more expensive 500mm zooms around.

Skip the teleconverters. They will be money down the toilet. Instead, try to build a small blind and watch wind direction carefully. I own a section in central Missouri, and have taken photos of deer from 20 ft. away when I sat very still and had the wind in my face.

Kent in SD

You have a camera body that 'needs' a AF-S lens to operate as designed. That cuts a few lens choices out.

If you had a Nikon D80 body (the auto-focus can handle the older AF type of lens or the newer AF-S lens.)

You might check

www.keh.com

and see what is available in the lens area. If you really want closer, you could look at a beater 1000mm f11 Reflex-Nikkor....but really cheaper -- maybe not.

You're already working with the 35mm equivalent of 450mm; that's not shabby for the money you've spent, or are likely to spend.

The next step up is to buy a 400mm lens of some sort, and I wouldn't skimp on a lens that large. You might be able to find a good used manual focus lens in that range for a reasonable (several hundred dollar) price.

Otherwise, I agree with everyone else - get a good blind set up; it'll be cheaper and more effective.