Got my new D300 today...

Not really breaking news...but I am stoked....So I just wanted to share.... I've been wanting to upgrade for

quiet sometime.. I've had my D50 since they where released....and that camera has been a bullet in terms of

durability..never been sent in for service and has spent more hours bouncin' around on my 4 wheeler than most

people ever spend on one.... This year has been pretty good financially and I've been selling some prints so I

decided to go ahead and lay out the cash.... I figure I'll send the D50 in for cleaning and service then just use

it as a back up..... I had to share my excitement, so thanks for listening.

Congratulations and enjoy in good health. <P> It is a significant jump from 50 to 300 you will notice that. I dont have one but played with it from a friend and was impressed with richness of color and low noise. I still am using D200 and am thinking of upgrading too.

Ken -

Congrats - I use the D300 and love it... Only problem I see with using a D50 as a backup is that the D50 uses SD cards as opposed to the CF cards of it's big sister. So, you'll have to carry multiple types of cards around... no biggie, but still a hassle.

Dave

Hi Ken, congratulations on your new baby! I've had my D300 since February and I absolutely love it! I've got it teamed up

with an 18-200 VR lens and if you take a look at my newer uploads you'll see some examples of what I've got out of what I

consider to be a superb combination. Best regards, Chris<div>00RhTB-95013584.jpg.5417116015deb5d6285db4f2cbb1834b.jpg</div>

Thanks everyone that has commented so far...

@ Iftikhar -- Yea I know it will be a bit of a learning curve...there are so many settings and options..

@ David -- I did think of that but I have a couple of 2 gig cards for the D50 so I think it'll be OK...

@ Chris S. -- Good combo and beautiful shot... I'm set for glass...except for the 70-200 VR in my wishlist on B &

H....guess I better sell some more stuff first....

@ Chris W. -- It's been awhile comin'..but I swore I would pay cash and the funds needed to come from selling

prints or some studio work..so it has been good motivation...I really thought I would want the D700 for landscape

work since I do a lot of that...but I could not justify the additional expense now...I think it will drop a

little more in price so I can just start filling the piggy bank again...I'm happy with the deal I got from

Cameta.. Camera, Grip, and extra battery for $1699.00... I will say this.. in just the few snaps I have taken..

it feels good in the hands. I have a grip on my D50 and would not do without....

Thanks Again...Ken

Congrats, Ken! I've asked Santa for one and I think he might be listening. Been using a D100 for a loooong time, and when we were taking pictures of our 3-year-old on Santa's lap tonight I had to keep stopping to let the buffer process (I was shooting raw). Perfect opportunity to explain to both hubby AND Santa why I need a D300.

'Course, maybe if I sold a few prints like you I could just buy one for myself...

Anyway, have fun, and post some of your new images for us to see!

Congrats from me too, Ken. I can feel the excitement for you. The D300 is almost a legend by now and I'm sure you'll be thrilled by it. I am also very tempted to get it but it would hurt my wallet for now as we needed a new roof first - ouch! Have fun and I'm looking forward to your new shots from it.

Thanks Victor... I'm gonna go shoot (something) this weekend...I have some prints on consignment at local shop..so they convinced me to do a signing on Saturday afternoon..but after that it is "game on"...the down side is..I'll need my long undies..it was only 15 degrees (F) today and not going to be much better the rest of the weekend...

<p>Chris S.- gorgeous ( the shot, not you). Ken...congratulations, its an awesome camera, but tell me this; after years of using the D50, do you love it any less? Also check out a guy called Globalindex on Flickr - he also uses a D50 and his results are spectacular...love from Downunder</p>

<p>Congrats. I upgraded from a D70 because I wanted a current crop/higher mp/semi-pro caliber camera. And

although I'm content, I still get flustered by all the features and settings the D300 has to offer. I know I don't have to

use them all, and I expected somewhat of a learning curve, but honestly I often miss or bugger up shots while fiddling

around with all the settings. I guess I'm a walking "I told you so" for the oh so smug better-camera-doesn't-make

-one-a-better-photographer camp