safari in south africa: equipment

sanjay_chaudary

Nope - not enough room and a bit limiting in terms of maneuvering. Assuming the open vehicles they prefer in SA, a monopod is more useful. A beanbag can help if you're in the front passenger seat.

If you have an entire row on the vehicle to yourself and a big lens on a gimbal head, then I can see using a tripod strapped to the frame of the seat in front, but otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

<p>No it's not.  I've just come back from a fantastic safari in South Africa.  The animals don't see the jeep as a threat or food.  Whilst you are inside the vehicle and don't make sudden movements (and make sure you stay seated), the animals don't really care.  Oh, apart from a sexually frustrated Bufallo who charged the jeep!<br>

If your lens has vibration reduction, you should be ok until the light starts fading, then a bean bag is very useful to hold it steady.<br>

The animals are pretty relaxed with photography going on, they don't even seem to flinch when you use a flash.<br>

</p>

<p>As Craig noted, camoflage is not necessary. I'd go with darker, neutral colors simply because it's likely to be very dusty. I shot the Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS lens, which is heavier than your 400mm f/5.6. I shot mostly hand held, though tried to lean on the grab bars door frame when I could. I used my monopod for early morning and late evening.<br>

<br /> You'll want a flash for night drives. Here are my shots from South Africa:<br>

<br /> http://www.pbase.com/escog/southafrica<br>

<br /> I visited Exeter River Lodge in the Sabi Sands and Phinda Mountain Lodge.</p>