EOS1DMk3/40/50D radio interference

john_macpherson

Twice recently I have been working with groups where we've required radio comms and used small handsets, and on

several occasions lost communication. To cut a long story short as to how I figured out what was going on - it

seems whenever anyone within 10m or so is reviewing images on the rear LCD of a 1DMk3 (and perhaps also 40/50D)

the interference cuts radio comms completely. Anyone else noticed this? Could be embarassing (or dangerous) in

some circumstances.

I have heard of radio communication sets causing interference in photos, but not the other way around. Lacking hard evidence, I doubt it's a real issue. Anything that uses a microprocessor radiates some RFI (radio frequency interference) but in the US, the FCC pretty much requires that it not interfere with anything else close by. Of course there are exceptions, but I don't think a camera could radiate enough power to interrupt voice communications in a 10 meter radius.

Please provide some citations to documented cases, not just anecdotal evidence.

Thanks

<Chas>

If the radio didn't work, its a real issue.

"Please provide some citations to documented cases, not just anecdotal evidence. "

I just documented (above) two cases where we could not use radios whilst EOS bodies were being used to review

images! I was there, I was puzzled, I figured out what was preventing the radio working. When the camera was not

reviewing images, the radios worked.

What else can I say?

John, check if custom-function CF24c is set. this is the SETI alien communications defeat feature that prevents communications and data-retrieval (abduction of images) by alien sources. it is useful in high-alien target environments but tends to interfere with other consumer communications. the next firmware release will most likely fix this oversight.

tillerman

<P><I>"Please provide some citations to documented cases, not just anecdotal evidence."</I></P>

<P>Thanks for that delicious chuckle! If such was the standard here, there would be absolutely no posts. In fact, there would

be almost no internet content...</P>

<hr>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Daniel - "it is useful in high-alien target environments"

.....well actually I was out of my own Scottish backyard when this happened - in Yellowstone NP - so I guess

things are worse than I feared in the US - anyone know if there have been any bison abductions? There did seem

to be fewer bison than normal, and they had strange glazed expressions......kind of like the way I feel

currently...so will all U smart-arses kindly FO....... :-)

sorry John .. unfortunately I can't disclose more information as it is classified at this time.

being serious though, I am an engineer and there are potential interference issues, dependent on proximity, frequency, modulation-mode, and other factors. all I can tell you is that I am suspicious of your claims and that there might be other mitigating factors at play here, and most likely. I can also say that my 40D and G10 do not interfere with any marine or amateur-radio based equipment here on the boat.

what does FO mean?

dt

I've noticed that when I point my XTi at some people they act strangely. Could it be the same RF interferance affecting changes in their frontal lobes resulting in odd behavior? Do our cameras require a fine wire sherical RF shield around them to prevent users suffering brain damage and a higher incidence of brain tumours? My God, I'm never going to use my camera again.

Pretty straightforward Daniel - radio on, talking, receiving, camera went on, communication dies. Did it a few days later with the other vehicle, different camera, same small radio, camera on, comms die. My buddy driving the other vehicle was waving to me and waving the radio, I slowed and he said he'd lost comms, I asked if anyone was reviewing on a Canon in his van - he asked - there was - they switched off and we had comms again.

conversely, when you turn on your radio do your images gain that 'Leica Glow'?

do they vignette?

you didn't mention the type of radios used ... FRS walkie-talkies?

do Nikons do the same? your cell-phone? anything is possible, and the 'truth is out there'.

no doubt about it ...

dt

Small Motorola radios using PMR446 frequency. I know very little about radios so thats all I know about frequencies!

Strangely the M8 induces a weird French accent on the radio speech which someone in our van who is quite old said sounded like Cartier-Bresson.

Nikons? Well with their backward compatible ethos you wont be surprised to learn that when reviewing on a D2x we picked up what I'm certain was Marconi, but it might have been Logie-Baird.

The truth might be 'out there' and there are times I wish I could join it.....!

<p>John, your experience constitutes one data point. Substantiated by only you. If this is really an issue, I would expect to see several, or dozens of similar complaints. Or even a real, documented test case run by a certified laboratory. That's what I call a citation, not your single anecdote.<br>

<Chas><br /></p>