In praise of Henry Scherer

I recently had a Contax IIA Colour Dial and a Zeiss Opton Sonnar 50mm 1.5 lens overhauled and returned to me by

Henry. The camera belonged to my father who had it from new and who gave it to me about 15 years ago since when

it sat in a drawer until my interest in rangefinder cameras was sparked when I acquired an M2 earlier this year. My

father had not used the camera for about 10 years before he gave it to me. The camera had never been CLA'd and it

and the lens were badly infected with an acid producing mould "possibly dormant" and were both quite filthy and

grimy. Henry normally has a waiting list of about 19 or 20 months but he repaired and returned the camera to me

within 6 weeks - solely because of the mould - he did not want it around his place infecting his stock and other items

sent for repair. I must say the camera is now in pristine condition both cosmetically and mechanically and I cannot

praise Henry highly enough - basically the camera looks and sounds like new. I've shot about 5 rolls of TriX which I'm

about to send off to be developed and printed and I may post a couple of pics when these are returned to me. I attach

a photo of the "prodigal son" with his German cousins. Please excuse the quality of the pic - digitally photograhed

(no offence to the digital community - its the first time I've used a digital camera - Ricoh R7 - and the first time I've

done anything in Photoshop other than reducing the size of a pic - I clearly have a lot to learn). Trust the above of

interest to you folks.<div>00RgdF-94681584.JPG.72a643d95dff5919335005846fb9dab7.JPG</div>