What's a good fast prime in the 24-28mm range?

cmulcahy

Which camera body/bodies are you planning to use this lens on?

I also wonder whether you really want to use a wide angle (slight wide on DX) for portraits, and do you really need f1.8 for walk around and portraits? Given your $400 budget, you'll do a lot better if you are willing to take a max f2.8 lens.

Unless you do a lot of walkaround shooting late in the afternoon or during the evening, then you probably don't need a fast lens. Wit a budget of $400, and shooting with a DX sensor, I'd personally get aNikon 24mm/2.8 AFD or a 24mm/2.0 or 2.8 AI/AIS.

For street and with a 24mm mounted on your D300, you have a ton of DOF to work with. So, IMHO, you don't really need AF -- just preset the focus to 12 feet, and everything from 6ft to infinity will be in focus.

Shun, I have a Nikon 28mm 2.8D. On my D300 I'd say it's more of a normal lens then wide. I've done some decent portraits with it actually. (not your traditional head shot) . I typically have used it as a walk around lens along w/ inside stuff w/ my kids. In many instances lighting has been an issue were I would have loved to have a tad more speed.

I also have a 50mm 1.4, which I use for portraits, but it's too long for the other stuff I like to do. I was just hoping for something 30mm or wider in the 1.4 or 1.8 f stop.

I'm not a huge fan of cranking up my ISO. I don't care for the results of ISO's above 800.

How is that Sigma 30mm 1.4? I'm a little wary of Sigma's quality. I actually own a 10-20mm Sigma that I like very much but I've heard so many mixed feelings about Sigma as a whole that I've tried to stay away from them. The only reason I got the 10-20mm was the good reviews. typically I try to stick w/ Nikon glass.

I heard about Nikon's new 50mm 1.4 AF-S. But I'm going to wait and see if it's any better then the 50mm 1.4D that I have now. If it's just improved AF - then it doesn't matter for me. I hope they didn't cheapen it. I've seen Canon's 50mm 1.8 and I just laughed at how crappy the build is.

Keith, I do like to take pictures in the mornings and evenings. I like the light during those times. Most of the time 2.8 is fast enough, but there are times were I wish I had more. I figure if the cost isn't much, I could sell my 28mm 2.8 to help fund something a little faster.

I have a Nikon 35-70mm 2.8 that I'm not entirely happy with. It's REALLY soft at anything below 5.6. I almost think it's auto focus isn't working right. I've tried the AF tuning feature in my D300 but I actually can't see any change at all when doing so. I've cranked it to +20 and down to -20 in my D300 and I see no difference?

second the sigma 30/1.4. i also use it on a d300. i've had no problems with focusing, and build quality is very good. i've used it at f/1.4 and iso 3200 for no--flash shots in a nearly pitch-black club all the way to stopped down to 5.6 for handheld landscape shots. HSM is very effective. really like the 'signature' of this lens for street and walkaround stuff. i don't always pull it out, but it's almost always in my bag.<div>00RghB-94697684.jpg.9da4fa09a307f4d2da1f3ada61adcb62.jpg</div>

I recommend the 28mm f/2 Ai-S Nikkor, I think you might just be able to obtain it second hand for the budget you have in mind. It works well with digital and is ideally suited for available light photography with excellent resistance to flare and ghosting.

If it needs to be autofocus then you may want to consider the Sigma 30/1.4 - I have not used it myself, but I've read complementary comments of its performance from one user. The 28/1.4 Nikkor is another option but it's quite large and costs 10x your budget! :-)

For shorter than 28mm I think the 24-70, 14-24, or the 17-55 may be the best options available, but they're f/2.8.

If you frequently have need for a fast wide angle then you might find yourself happier with a D700 as with that camera the 35/2, 35/1.4, 28/2 all become much wider than on the D300. And there is also a high ISO performance boost.

If you end up getting a manual focus 28/2 or 35/1.4, I would recommend the Katz Eye split-image screens for making manual focus easier.