75 mm f/1.4 Summilux

zdenek

It depends on the condition. How good is its good condition.?

I got mine for 210 thousand yen. It is excellent condition. This was earlier this year. I believe the price is steadily

rising. Had I gone for it a year and a half ago I could have gotten it for 160 thousand yen.

It's a tough call Zdenek. Two thousand Euros and no VAT at the Euro's current exchange value is not all that bad, if the

lens is tip top condition--considering it should be going up in price as it becomes scarcer. In the end, how badly do you

want it?

It might be a good idea to try it out on your Leica to see if it focuses properly. Adjustments will be an added expense.

Zdenek, sounds too high for me, too.

If it was in mint condition and came with the box, pouch, cards, shade (in case it is the 1st version with attachable lens shade) and so on the price still would be on the high side.

BTW I paid 1200,- Euros for mine (extendable shade) a couple of weeks ago (with box, pouch, caps).

It was in mint/unused condition.

I know this is not the average price at the moment but bargains can be found from time to time.

Cheers, Stefan

Thank you all for your comments. Yes, it is too much. According to the trader that lens is in near mint conditions without any marks on lenses. Just now I have seen on ebay one top condition piece going for $3399 which is much more than that I think about. It is difficult to take decision.

To have my decision more difficult there is a NIB Noctilux (not one of the last 100) in the play. :)

<p>Zdenek --<br>

I have not used the 75mm f/1.4 Summilux, but use a 75mm f/2 Summicron with an M2.  The 75mm focal length is quite useful for taking candid portraits under available light conditions.  This is especially true indoors, where one might be relatively close to the subject but unable to expand the image area by backing up due to furniture, walls or other people. <br>

Both the 75mm f/1.4 and 75mm f/2 have excellent reputations for optical quality.  In my experience, the 75mm f/2 offers an excellent balance between speed, size, weight, and handling qualities.  What the 75mm f/1.4 would appear to offer, that the f/2 does not, is one full extra stop of lens speed to enable a faster shutter speed in dim available light, a bit more shallow depth of field at maximum aperture to isolate the subject, and a longer focusing throw that allows fine adjustments for maximum focusing accuracy at maximum aperture.  What one apparently must accept, in order to gain those advantages, is a lens that is somewhat larger and heavier, and is a bit slower to focus. <br>

In deciding between these two lenses, or other lenses such as the more affordable 75mm f/2.5 Summarit or Voightlander Color Heliar 75mm f/2.5, one needs to decide which characteristics one considers most important: the largest possible maximum aperture and most selective depth of field; the highest possible optical quality; small size, light weight, and convenient handling; moderate cost; or some reasonable balance between those characteristics.  If you do a lot of available-light shooting in very dim light, or find yourself making frequent use of shallow depth of field to isolate subjects in portraits, the benefits of the 75mm f/1.4 might well justify the extra cost, size and weight and the slow focusing.  If you do most of your shooting under brightly lit daytime outdoor conditions, then one of the 75mm f/2.5 lenses might meet your needs at a much more reasonable price.  If you want a well-balanced lens that offers consistently excellent optical quality, is fast enough for available light, and is sufficiently small, light and good-handling for all-around use, and can afford to pay for those virtues, then the 75mm f/2 might be the best choice.  The good news is that there are a range of choices available, so that you can get not only a 75mm lens, but one well-suited to your personal needs.</p>