50D BATTERY

alan_hui

Hi, I just bought a new 50D a few days ago. I am going on a vacation trip for 2 weeks during x'mas. I would like to

buy an extra battery just in case. Does it worth it to buy a 3rd party battery to save a few bucks? What are your

takes on 3rd party batteries? Should I consider a battery grip? I am new to Dslr and I have no idea what a battery

grip can do. I'd appreaciate your generous advice. Thanks.

I bought 3rd party battery twice from e-bay. Both costing about $10 including shipping. One was for Eos 40D and the other Panasonic Lumix. Both batteries are as good as genuine one, except one big difference. The generic one from ebay was only about 10% cost of the genuine, without any difference in performance.

A battery grip is nice - I have one on my 5D, and it will go on vacation with me just fine - but the 50D is much more battery intensive than older Canon DSLRs. You're going to be charging a battery every 1 to 5 days, depending on how much/what kind of shooting you're doing. If you use the Live-View function, it will really limit battery life.

Bought a pair from ebay for for 12 bucks last year, works fine till this day. No brand in particular, just look for a reputable seller. If you don't trust ebay stuff, a lot of folks here like Sterlingtek.com. Just buy a pair and bring the charger, you'll be fine with 3 batteries. Regarding the battery grip, it allows you to use 6AA or two BP 511 batteries, it also has the shutter button, main dial and a few other buttons. If you have a big lens the grip helps you balance it, oh and of course the grip makes you look cooler :) :)

http://sterlingtek.com/digital-camera-batteries-canon-digital-camera-batteries.html

Hi i cut this from the last time i answered this ,

Note what i said about mid priced battery's

>>>Hi i cannot tell any difference between canon and cheap eBay ones in use, but i think the mid

priced branded batteries are cheapo with a name and a big price hike i have a $4 cheapo and a $30

uniross and without doubt they are out the same factory also if you see canon half price on ebay

then thay are $4 fake so buy the proper canon or the cheapest hope this helps Dave PS i mean

British pounds not $ must set this keyboard up<<<

Hi,

Out of 12 batteries I've got for my cameras, four are genuine Canon and the rest are generics bought off ebay.

If anything, the generics have slightly higher capacity. Not anything noticeable. They work about the same, in the cameras and in the chargers. Last time I bought I got about six of them, including shipping to my doorstep, for less than the price of a single Canon battery.

If you want a little better warranty, you can save about half buying from Sterlingtek, Adorama or B&H.

Alan,

I bought some hi-capacity generic batteries, at about 1/3 or better than the retail price of Canon brand, and they last much longer. I take double the capacity of photos with my EOS20D. I think Canon sells their BP511A for around $75.00. I paid $14.00 each about 8 months ago. I bought 4 of them after I bought 1 and tried it out. That's my opinion. Canon recommends using only Canon batteries, and they would probably would void the camera warranty if they find out someone is using them and some type of mishap occurs relating to the battery. They only know what you tell them, though.

best of luck.

Tim<div>00RgyI-94815584.jpg.a617d2be9afe64cea5070628c42098e5.jpg</div>