M6 with 35mm Summi...What is the next lens?

brad_herman1

Paul, I'm actually looking for a Nikon D700 camera. I've figured out that I get more out of SLRs than rangefinders. It took a while! Getting a R lens would open up the R world, another Pandora's Box of buying and selling. When does this merry-go-round stop, or is it a roller coaster?

This is one of the interesting questions in 35mm photography. What lenses? It will be different for each person based on how they see. I could not live without a 50mm f2 for my Leica. Other than an occasional, once every year or so need for a 28, that is all I want. I have sold the other lenses because I really did not use them. The f2 is the one to get because it is lighter, does not block the viewfinder and is sharp wide open. It is also (more) reasonably priced. From reading the comments above it seems that a 35mm is considered preferable by many photographers, but though I have had 2 Leica 35mm lenses, I hardly ever used them. I wonder why? Very interesting question.

Brad, if you are looking towards the 50 + range focal lengths, maybe you should also consider a good used Noctilux or 75 Summilux. I hardly need to describe the qualities of the Noctilux, but it's a lens that you'll always want with you in low light conditions. The old 75 Summilux M renders beautiful images similar to the superb 80/1.4 R. I also endorse the earlier comment about the Nikon 80/2.0 for Leica. Both 75 and 80 focal lengths are easier to focus with a 0.72 M body than the 90, and IMHO are a bit more polyvalent, unless, that is, you 'see' in the 90 to 105 focal range.

I notice nobody recommends a tri-elmar, or a 135, any reason for that?

One of my all time favorite Leica lenses is the Elmar C or Rokkor 90. Really sharp, and really cheap. It isn't

everyday you can say that about Leica glass. I actually bought an M mount camera just so I could shoot that lens.

Ended up selling my Leica R 90 Summicron. The R 90 was special at f2, but at f4 and above the Rokkor 90 was

clearly the better lens.

"I notice nobody recommends a tri-elmar, or a 135, any reason for that?"

If I already had a 35 (and I do), I would not want to buy another lens that is 28, 35 and 50. I think 135 is a bit too long for a rangefinder, and the gap between 35 and 135 is too big. 35, 75 and 135 would work, if one really wants the long lens.

My wife cant figure out why the UPS/FEDEX truck is permanently parked out front, even my 4-year old calls Brown the "mail truck." "Daaad, the mail truck is here."

Two well spaced lenses does the trick, no? But I cant give up my Hasselblad or my Plaubel Makina because I might need them.

Brad, I have a 50 summicron and a 75/2.5 voigtlander heliar.

I'd get a 50 summicron first, preferably the black version (its noticeably lighter than the chrome).

I've often ventured out with a 35/75 combo only to regret not having the 50. I've regretted not having the 75 on me much less, whenever I've ventured out with the 35/50. They may be close in focal length in theory, but on a Leica or any other camera, one works as an somewhat intimate wide angle and the other as a short-short tele. If you shoot frequently with the two you'll never confuse the unique opportunities each affords.

Brad,

Isuggest the latest elmarit 90, "cheap" and v v good. The "old" summicrons 90 not asph are slightly lower quality but still v good. I was not at all convinced by the 75 summarit which is clearly below these. I also feel the 50mm (old summilux sharp at center weak on edges at high aperture or summicron a notchnbelow at full aperture but bette when closed) is an important lens to have and does complement the 35 very well. I own or owned all these lens so that's really my experience !