Whats your opinion of DPP Lens Aberration Adjustments?

juans eye

It deals with the CA from my 17-85 IS quite effectively - but I'll qualify that by saying that:

a) I'm not that picky. If my my (usually small) prints look OK, I'm not too bothered about what it looks like @ 100%;

b) I've no other tool to compare it to.

The image below was using the automatic settings on an image taken at 17mm on the 17-85. Top is with CA correction on "100", and bottom with "0".<div>00RfBd-93885584.jpg.7e3e559dde0a7266b096ce32302626cd.jpg</div>

I have not been able to use it as I have a 20D.

However, it is fairly easy to fix CA for most lenses that really needed it in photoshop, I just create a file for each whole aperture using the Save Settings subset option in ACR. You can then apply that from Bridge to multiple RAW files.

The actual CA adjustments I derive by trial and error using a high contrast test target. It is quite easy to get it right if you view the corners at 400%.

Juan:

I use it with the 40D, EF 70-200 f/2.8 (never needs much adjustment); EF85 f/1.8 (same as 70-200); EF17-40;

EF28-135; and EF-S10-22

I like it for the CA adjustment.

I noticed that sometimes, the "distortion" correction reduces sharpness quite a bit. I haven't tracked which

lenses/situations etc, I just pay attention to the zoom window (and make sure the little target icon is on top of

something other than sky) when I click the distortion button...and see what happens. If the distortion button

induces too much blur, I turn of off.

I haven't used the noise correction (I use other software for that).

Cheers! Jay

I agree with Ian R. The DPP lens correction works nicely with the EF-S 17-85, especially at wide angle (where it is needed the most). My nominal settings are: Peripheral Illumination (94-96) - A slight darkening of the image corners looks natural, in my opinion; Distortion - Sometimes backed off from 100. Distortion is affected by subject and distance, so the amount of correction (if any) is a subjective call (if one is picky); Chromatic Abberation - This parameter is focal length/subject/lighting dependent. I usually leave it at default strength, if I choose to apply the correction. Usually it is not needed at the telephoto end. My camera is the XTi, which doesn't send subject distance to DPP. I wonder if a distance info supported camera like the 40D would enable better optimized lens correction in DPP (less user tinkering needed)

I am very enthusiastic about the aberration correction capabilities in DPP. In DPP 3.5 almost all Canon lenses are supported, and since I don't use off-brand lenses that suits me fine. There are a few exceptions. The 50/2.5 is not supported either without or with the LSC, but that hardly matters because it needs little or nothing in the way of correction. The TS lenses are not supported, but then, that would be a hugely complex task. Compared to other ways of doing aberration correction, DPP has some big advantages: it has the benefit of working from a database reflecting what Canon know about their lenses, and the default settings give very good results with little tradeoff, although you can fine-tune if you want; because the default settings are so good it is almost effortless to make corrections; corrections are made at RAW conversion time, which is when you want it to happen; and it's all bundled with Canon bodies, so you don't have to pay for an extra piece of software.