Talk me out of buying a 50 1.2L

tom_berkowski

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the strongest feature of L-series lenses is the weatherproofing. If that is not a concern for you, and the 0.2 difference in f-stops doesn't convince you that the f1.4 is good enough for your needs, then I guess you need to pony up the money.

Thanks for responses. I would not buy for wider apeture (f/1.2 vs. 1.4). I use a lot of 1.8 - 2.2, sometimes a bit wider, but I've only used wide open (1.2) in rental lenses a couple times successfully.

My primary reason for considering purchase is the focus speed & accuracy vs. the 1.4. Secondarily for feel (solid bulk, focus feel). Third for reliability concerns, but that is offset by cost.

I am just not happy with 50 lens choices, and I need a normal lens. 50 1.2 is somewhat inferior to other L lenses in my experience, supporting what others have pointed out, so it's a bit of a rip-off. However, I can't use one of the other L lenses to do 50 work.

I have a Canon 50mm 1.8II which is my fav. portrait lens when i am travelling light. Its very sharp at F1.8 and for me...the AF is no problem, u just need to get used to how it focuses. The AF is also quite fast and accurate. I don't have complaints....best AU$140 i have ever spent.

And for serious uses...like weddings, i use Canon 85mm 1.2L. ...its the MKI version and AF speed is more than enough to shoot a bridal portrait. Shes not running anywhere. And at such wide apertures, u are most likely to use MF anyway.

Cheers!

Can't do it. I love mine. I used the f/1.4 for 2 years -- since I got the f/1.2L the f/1.4 hasn't been mounted. I grew to dislike the f/1.4 because it could not AF at all in highly backlit situations. The focus on the f/1.2L is fast and accurate in challenging situations.

If you want a lens that is good from f/2.2 to f/5.6, the f/1.2L isn't designed for that range and you're better off with the f/1.4.

The Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 ZE has become available in just the last few days, and it's only a matter of time until it becomes legendary -- for its harsh bokeh wide open. On the other hand, if you want sharpness at the plane of focus and smooth transition to blur at f/1.2, this is your lens.

the reviews indicate the lenses are closely matched, except for flare (the f/1.4 flare more). $300 v. $1500. Flare is a big deal in my book, can ruin alot of pix.

I have a great 50/2.0 Hexanon for my Leica (about $400) and I also have a 50/1.4 Summilux ASPH (about $2500 used). go figure. best of luck.

>> My primary reason for considering purchase is the focus speed & accuracy vs. the 1.4. Secondarily for feel (solid bulk,

focus feel). Third for reliability concerns, but that is offset by cost.

Then IMHO you should go for the 35/1.4 L. No 50mm lens gives you both ring USM and IF design so either focus speed

and/or accuracy is compromised. As far as feel and reliability it's also top dog.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Regarding suggestion to go with 35 1.4L, which has better focus. I have only limited rental experience with the 35, but I did like the focus. My question is whether 35 mm is a substitute for 50 mm. In my limited experience, I found 35 mm to be wide for my use, but then again maybe with time I could figure out how to use it more effectively.

"My primary reason for considering purchase is the focus speed & accuracy vs. the 1.4."

Hmmmm... If you use your AF intelligently, you shouldn't have nearly this degree of focusing difficulty. I addressed this exact issue in a post I wrote in another thread:

http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00RVEk

In short, you should be able to AF very quickly and reliably in near darkness with a very slow lens on a very early model DSLR if you simply give your AF points a decent edge. (Seriously.) If you can see it in the viewfinder, an AF detector can nail it. An f/1.2 lens is simply a stupid level of overkill to achieve AF. The only reason to get the f/1.2 is if you plan on doing a lot of shooting below f/2.

But if you want to blow that kind of money on a lens that won't outperform a much cheaper one, go right ahead. I'm sure the Japanese can use help with their economy too.

>> My question is whether 35 mm is a substitute for 50 mm. In my limited experience, I found 35 mm to be wide for my use, but then again maybe with time I could figure out how to use it more effectively.

Stepping forward one or two steps is all you need to do.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.