What questions do you ask the bride?

my work site

I am going to meet for the first time with a bride, and thought I would get some suggestions on questions to ask

the bride and groom when you first meet with them.

<p>

So far, all I know is that the wedding is being held in Fairfax in September. I have a lot of info collectin' to

do.

<p>

Terra<p>

<blockquote>Moderator note: Website link deleted. Photo.net policy as stated in various forums and in one of the recent newsletters states that

website "signature" links or self promotion links is not permitted. Please make sure you put your website in your profile as this

is where people can find your contact information.</blockquote>

Here are some of the questions I ask: not in any particular order

1. go over time and place of wedding

2. shot list (make sure you tell her those who needs pictures do not leave.)

3. important people must have

4. go over the ceremony

5. go over the reception

6. Any restrictions during ceremony and reception such as flash

How many people in the wedding party? How many sets of parents (in case of divorce, etc)? Anyone coming in from far away that you

want to make sure you get photos with? Who's directing traffic on the day you get married?

Really, find out if someone other than the bride is lining people up. It amazes me that so many brides try to direct traffic on their wedding

day. It can't be done. Finally, if you show up to meet them and the "Bridezilla" cameras are there, smile warmly, thank them for their

interest and say you're booked that day.

I have a pretty comprehensive list. I get most of my answers by talking to the couple about their day and what kind of

coverage they are looking at, but here it is:

Date,

Start/Stop times,

Bride/Groom/Extra contact person & cell phone numbers for each,

Mailing address of B/G

Names of wedding party members, & if there are kids, their ages

Address & Directions to where Bride/Groom are getting ready,

Notes/Special requests

Address/Directions to ceremony location,

Ceremony start time,

Type of ceremony,

Special "events" (candle lighting, readings, sand ceremony, songs, stepchildren vows or rings, other),

Approx length of ceremony,

Will there be a mass or service?,

Are there any restrictions as far as photography?,

Name of officiant,

Is there a receiving line? Approx # of guests

Names of family members for family portraits,

Family situations we should be aware of (parents divorced/remarried/deceased/not attending, kids from previous

relationship, other),

Family photo shot list,

special requests

Location(s) for formals,

BASIC shot list for formals,

special requests

Reception address/directions,

time line (cocktails, announce b/g, toasts, cake cutting, first dance, bouquet/garter toss),

other reception events,

will dinner be provided for photographer? if no, please note photographer will take a 45 min break for dinner

bride's dress (style, train, veil, colour),

bridesmaid's dresses (style, colour),

Groom/Groomsmen attire,

wedding colours,

flowers (size/style of bouquets),

transportation (type, photos with transportation? allow time to drive around?),

other important details (memorial tributes, family heirlooms, etc)

I know it's a long list, but I've found that knowing these things before hand really help me prepare for the wedding day

and figure out how much time i have to do what throughout the day. Hope this helps!

I know that the couples think they are interviewing me but I'm also interviewing them and seeing if I actually want to be involved in their day. If I detect control freakery I'm not interested or if their idea of good photography isn't the same as mine, again, I'm not interested. Don't get me wrong, I'm always polite but I'm not that desperate to work with overly demanding people. Otherwise, if I like them and it's the first meeting, I just chat to them about the day and the questions come naturally.

Hi Terrra, how ya been?! Fancy meeting you here. I usually listen more than ask questions at a potential wedding client meetings

I usually do ask about itinerary. Talitha hit the nail on the head about family situations. You can stuff your foot in your mouth pretty quick if you don't know.

I can pretty much walk into any church and start working regardless of the lighting, etc. But the reception I want to know if the hall has low or high ceilings. Nothing worse than lugging 200lsb of light to a reception where you find you only need to bounce your flash.

Good Luck!