Strange light - is it a cookie?

nataliaborecka

Hello to all,

I'd like to try playing with shadows during my fashion shoots in the style of this:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_WAf8rRN3154/RnaYhheT_1I/AAAAAAAAASY/tuwtq6FL38c/s1600-h/Carl5.jpg

The photographer has used what appears to be two lights. Question is, how does he achieve those shadows? The

light seems to breaks apart where it should be continuous, and consistent (as you can see certain points of her

body remain darker than others, as in the second picture from top-left).

Do you think this done with the help of a cookie? Or could it be that the photographer is using extreme angles to

light his subject?

I'd love, and appreciate your opinion.

Take wonderful care,

N.

Yeah, the model he's using is some cookie, all right. He uses direct flash at far left turned way down for the background, which is covered with something--could be a honeycomb, a lattice, a matte, anything--to get the louvered effect, and is screened with a flat or gobo to keep it off the model. He's got one light on the model which casts her shadow on the background, showing the pattern of the background flash, and brightens and softens that pattern where there's no shadow. He has a third light at far right and a little behind the model that provides edge lighting and a little dimension, and is screened from the camera.<p>

I agree this photog is stylin' like there is no tomorrow, but do the garments look good? I'd give him one successful shot in six--maybe two. Word to the wise, and all that.