Flash for Nikon D300

hung_troung

Please help. I am looking for a Shoe Mount Flash for my Nikon D300. Had a SB800 for more than 2 years, quit

working last night, i know i can send this to Nikon for repair, but a new flash is what i want. My question: are

there non Nikon flashes that 100% dedicated like the SB600, SB800,SB900?. I a am looking at the METZ, but don't

know much about them.

i would stick with a Nikon flash. other 3rd party strobes may offer some functionality, such as i-TTL, but aren't compatible with Nikon's CLS. and apparently Nikon has some kind of secret squirrel technology between its AF-S lenses and speedlites which you dont get with 3rd party flashes. if budget is not an issue, i'd just go ahead and get an sb-900. if budget is an issue and you dont need wireless commanded options, get an sb-600. you can still use it as a remote with the built-in flash on your camera.

I would stick with a Nikon flash for guaranteed 100% compatibility. As already noted, Metz does make a unit with a Nikon module, but I believe it is more expensive than an SB-800. Speaking of which, Microsoft resurrected its Live Search cashback program (for today only, I believe), so if you are not uncomfortable using EBay, you can pick up a new SB-800 for $320, minus 30%.

The only Metz flashes that are 100% compatible with the Nikon system are the ones listed under "System Flashes" here: http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electronics/mecablitz-models/system-flash-units.html

I recently learned from a Metz representative that the SCA adapted flashes lack some features, like FP synchronization - it was for that reason that I did not purchase the 45 CL4 digital.

As already suggested above, I'd rather stick with Nikon flashes.

I don't use Nikon flashes because CLS is proprietary. It's just too much trouble using different controls and methods with different cameras. So I use Metz flashes in 'Manual' and 'Auto' modes when I need speed lights. Works great, costs less because I can buy older flashes without all of the latest gadgets. I also use studio lights and a flash meter.

CLS is fine if you only shoot Nikon, can live with limited trigger distances, don't mind the line-of-sight limitation, and you're willing to pay a lot of $$$ for limited power.

I'm sort of in Robert's camp, above. I use a mix of 4 big monolights and 10 Nikon SB-28 flash. These are all fired by radio triggers. I need the longer range the radio triggers provide. Also, I've not had really great luck with CLS outdoors. However I'll say this. I do have one SB-800 and it sure is handy for a quick off-camera flash. It's the flash that is always in my camera bag. For a fast portrait out in the woods or where ever, it delivers for me. I'm not interested in the SB-900 for three reasons: price, large size, and when I need a lot of flash power, I simply grab one of my battery packs & 1360ws monolights LOL!

Kent in SD

I bought a used Metz 54MZ 4 for my Mamiya 645AFD II. It was in excellent condition and works perfectly. I paid $100 US

and will get a SCA 3402 M8 module for my D700 for $80. This way I can use the flash on both cameras and utilize the TTL

capabilities of both. All this for about the same price as a new SB600. The Metz is a bit more powerful, and the only real

downfall is in order to use wireless flash, I will have to get another Metz flash to control it. The good thing about the Metz

flashes is that you can use them on any camera as long as you have the proper adapter.

• 4 weeks later...

<p>I have an older Metz 3402 module, works great with everything except my D100 and D200 bodies. I found nikonians discussing the firmware updates can be done complimentary:<br>

The latest is the M8 version<br>

Send the SCA module and a brief note asking for complimentary SCA reprogramming to:<br>

Bogen Imaging, Inc.<br />Attn: Repair Dept<br />565 E. Crescent Ave.<br />Ramsey, NJ 07446<br />(201) 818-9500<br /><a href="mailto:service@bogenimaging.com" target="_blank">service@bogenimaging.com</a></p>