Canon EOS 5D Mark II

nicole_perez

I'm trying to get a new Canon... And am influencing my rushed decision on having the camera also function as a

makeshift tool for videography at my upcoming wedding.

Does anyone know how long the batteries might last when shooting on with the HD video feature?

Also, I believe I read you have to purchase an external microphone. Can anyone point me in the right direction of

how this works, how much it costs, is it even good?

(I have been having problems finding articles and information online related to this).

Thank you!

Canon quotes 2 hours of video/live view use on a single battery charge. Personally, I would take that with a pinch of salt so I would allow for about an hour of good video per charge. An extra battery should be considered essential.

Secondly, don't worry about the 5D mkII being good or not. It is not an exaggeration to say that it currently has about the best HD video quality in the world among consumer cameras (that includes all the so called professional HD video cameras). You would need to spend in excess of USD100,000 to get anything remotely close to its video quality (especially in low light situations).

An external mic is not essential but it is preferable. The camera has a built in mic but the quality will be significantly improved with even a cheap external mic.

If anyone disagrees with me, don't believe a word of it unless they have actually used a 5D2.

Congrats on the wedding Nicole, The Canon site info states less than 1/2 hr. at full resolution with a max of a 4G chip. I think that If you used the live view at the same time ( like most video cameras) it would eat batteries pdq. All video cameras have fairly large batteries. I think the 5dmkII's video section is just a high res clip camera and ment for short high res clips of kids an small events. I'm sure that the video function would be fun at the resception but not the right tool for the actual wedding.

On the other hand the 5DmkII is one of the best still cameras for the low light that you will encounter at most weddings. I have one on order now and can't wait to get my hands on it. I hope this helps, Bill

Thank you everyone!

Bill - We only really care to capture the ceremony. Give or take 15-20 minutes... We paid a fortune for our photographer. Video was something we were maybe going to hire an art student or something. Either way, I'm trying to convince my fiance this camera is so amazing. (He just doesn't get photography....)

" I'm sure that the video function would be fun at the resception but not the right tool for the actual wedding. "

I strongly disagree. Wedding photographers that are in the know cannot wait to get the 5D2. The quality and beautiful shallow depth of field blows away ALL video cameras regardless of cost. The video option on the 5D2 is not a short clip gimmick like on compact digicams. It is serious stuff and is about to change the whole wedding and journalism world dramatically. Remember what I said. In 12 months time, this camera will be seen as a complete game changer and will be the first of many.

The fact that major movie companies are buying them and also that there are now dedicated complex camera mounts being manufactured specifically for the 5D2 speaks volumes. Do not underestimate it.

If you have not seen the short film call 'Reverie' shot entirely on a prototype 5D2 using just one battery I suggest you search on the net for it and watch it. It will blow your mond!

Nicole, the 5D MkII is an amazing camera and I think it's wise to consider it. On the other hand, it isn't really a "makeshift tool for videography". Unless the person operating the camera has experience with shallow DoF videography, you may be very disappointed with the final product. That inexperience will be showcased in the highest quality HD available, right there on your wedding video.

ditto what jeff pointed out.

jamie r is incorrect when he writes: "It is not an exaggeration to say that it currently has about the best HD video quality in the world among consumer cameras (that includes all the so called professional HD video cameras). You would need to spend in excess of USD100,000 to get anything remotely close to its video quality (especially in low light situations)."

the red camera will blow this camera so far out of the water, your head will spin---and those can be had for 25,000. also, while i am very intrigued by the HD in this camera, i'm very disappointed in the lack of 24/25p--this is a killer for the film world. also the codec is supposedly difficult to work with though i have no first hand experience with that.

yes i think this camera has potential (if canon gets the 24/25p going) but you MUST know the limitations. still lenses are not meant to be focus pulled. there's much more breathing in the lens than with cine lenses. also, the focus marks are so close together, it's hard to do any sort of visuals other than those where the focus does not change.

"If anyone disagrees with me, don't believe a word of it unless they have actually used a 5D2."

I haven't had a look at a production 5mk2 yet, I would guess you are in a pretty exclusive club, however I will disagree with the following:

"Secondly, don't worry about the 5D mkII being good or not. It is not an exaggeration to say that it currently has about the best HD video quality in the world among consumer cameras (that includes all the so called professional HD video cameras). You would need to spend in excess of USD100,000 to get anything remotely close to its video quality (especially in low light situations)."

The 5D is a stills camera that can do video clips.

This is a great feature and an idea to watch for the future.

It is not a video camera.

A few differences:

Focusing: Any professional videographer will focus manually, by zooming right into the subject, focusing and zooming back out.

Problem one: Unless you are using the 35-350 L you are probably going to find yourself short of zoom.

Problem two: Manual zooming

Manual Zooming: Say you use the full 29mins recording capacity of a 5Mk2 video clip are you going to have the one shot size throughout? Are you going to zoom? Manually? Live whilst recording? Nice and smooth now.

Are you going to want a wider angle or a closer shot? A nice macro detail of the cake? Change lenses whilst live recording?

Grammer of shots: Video is landscape orientation. Are you going to remember this when you want to capture a couple of hi-res stills along the way during your 29min recording time?

Are you going to have a tripod and fluid head? Handheld video with manual zooming and passive AF on a 1080p 50" plasma will look grrrrr-eat. Keep the sick bags handy.

On a techincal level, I'm not convinced that a bayer pattern single sensor will compete with a 3ccd system for colour fidelity. Expect moire and false colouration.

MPEG4 recording. Watch those pans and tilts, in fact forget them all together. People dancing? A recording of the wedding car from another car? could be a challenge for the compression.

If anybody disagrees with me then don't beleive a word of it until they've actually used a sony 900 series HDCAM. Or even a z1.

"An external mic is not essential but it is preferable. The camera has a built in mic but the quality will be significantly improved with even a cheap external mic."

True, a sennheiser MKE300D or MKE400D will be ideal for ambient sound. If you want close up sound then you'll need radio mics, sennheiser evolution 300 series are decent and fairly inexpensive. If you get a beachtek breakout box you can have two mics on seperate channels and you can also monitor the audio via headphones (a curious ommission by canon, and a clear suggestion that the video mode is a limited add on rather than intended as proper alternative to a professional video camera. Audio is at least half the story with video. Hats off to canon for pushing the boundaries, maybe the 5Mk3 will be better still.

I am not being unduly harsh on the 5Dmk2. It may compete on resolution and it does has an advantage when it comes to sensor size in terms of creating nice soft dof and bokeh. But for all the greeat things that it is, it is not a video camera.

Buy it for its awesome stills potential and have fun with the video function.

OK, sounds like most of you know much more about video than me. However, I did not say the 5D2 was a great

video camera. I said it has awesome video quality... two different things entirely. I fully understand the lack of

powered zoom etc. can be a disadvantage in many situations, especially when shooting unplanned sequences.

But... those things are being addressed already with rail mounted focus rigs coming into production (see pic). These

fancy rigs would not even exist if the 5D2 was a 'gimmick'. Mark my words, this camera is a game changer. It may

not be a traditional video camera but you can bet that good things will come from it's creation. Canon might even

decide to produce a 'real' video camera based around the sensor and lens mount of the 5D2. Imagine how good that

would be if it had the much fated 24/25 fps. Remember, the 5D2's party piece is it's low light capability. No

consumer video camera comes anywhere close to it... fantastic for dimly lit churches and wedding evenings ;-)

I seriously disagree with those of you who seem to think that the video capability of the 5D2 should be for occasional

film snippets only. It is a serious tool indeed but will require a whole new working method for those used to traditional

video cameras.

Nicole, the 5D2 is amazing but I would be EXTREMELY cautious about using it for your wedding without gaining a

lot of experience using it first. As another poster said, the quality is so good that any 'amateurish' filming will stick

out like a sore thumb on your final video. You may be better hiring a good quality video camera for your big day as I

imagine getting to grips with 5D2 video will take a while to master.<div>00RdA9-92857584.jpg.4aea2f5c79dd28ea14ebc13a23d8fd38.jpg</div>

Thats hilarious mate, cheers for brightening my day up.

Whats the cost & weight of the rig? I think if I were getting to that stage I'd just buy a sony A1 to fit in my pocket.

Are these mecanno wizards going to build in a couple of XLR sockets and a headphone jack as well?

What about the poor stills users who want to change lenses fairly frequently and in a matter of seconds? (you may remember that he

5DMk2 also takes stills)

I agree with a lot of what you say, it is a game changer and it most definitely bodes well for the future, an ideal use would be for

photojournalists who also want to gather video for news items or webcasts etc. When you are in the business of professionally bearing

witness the best camera is the one you have on you at the time. Can you image if all the great war togs had the facility to run off some

cine footage at the same time? Truely awesome potential. Also the idea of shooting video on a 35mm sensor is also very exciting,

just not using the MPEG4 codec.

Anybody who makes a living from a video camera will not be in any rush to ditch it for the 5Dmk2, for all the reasons I previously

explained. I am excited by how canon will develop this idea.

They already do the XL series which can be adapted for EF lenses, although the sensors are far smaller (sensors as it is a 3ccd model

rather than a single bayer type) meaning a massive telephoto conversion factor.

I can't see canon developing a video camera with a full frame sensor as exceptional results with buttery bokeh can already be obtained

from any camcorder with a 2/3 ccd block. Canon already market lenses for these cameras, with manual aperture rings, dampened

mechanical focus rings with end stops (essential for focus racking) and power zooms.

Whats more if you have a professional sony, ikegami, grass valley, jvc, or panasonic camcorder sony can sell you a lens to fit it.

Professional users would not accept a bayer pattern imaging device on a video camera. It has to have three chips, preferably CCD, with

progessive / interlaced switching.

For these reasons I cannot see Canon going into the professional camcorder body market.

I hate to be contrary and seem like I'm having a go. I'm not. I do video for a living, and I'm a keen photographer. I've had many years

to consider the differences, technically, practical and theoretically. The 5Dmk2 can shoot video clips. It isn't a video camera. No

matter how much lego you build around it.

"It isn't a video camera. No matter how much lego you build around it."

I'll say it again... I never did say the 5D2 was a video camera. I am talking about it's image/movie quality... that's all. Focussing, zooming, 30fps aside, the quality is awesome, especially in low light.

My point about the rail mount and focus rig is that those rigs would not have even been considered worthy of production if the 5D2's video capability was a gimmick. The quality is awesome and serious people with serious projects want to use it for serious applications where ordinary video cameras can't match it.

True, I know next to nothing about video and have little interest in it but the facts don't lie. As for your comment about people wanting to take still shots when the camera is mounted in the 'lego' rig... that's just being a bit silly. The rig is obviously for users that want to make use of the video capability only. If they want to take a still shot they will have a second 5D2 body in their arsenal.

Read Vincent Laforet's blog if you haven't already.

Mark II is in the house :) Woo.

Low light - wow. The camera sees in darkness. Literally darkness, where the eye sees nothing. The noise is heavy, but the image is there. The video is excellent, so I'm going to shoot a music video as a test next week with a crew to see it in action. And it's quiet. Much quieter than the Mark 1. The video is really easy to set up and run, manual focusing a bit tricky, but AF focus works pretty quickly with just a touch. Better than GFs D300 Live view - which sucks. More soon...

Thanks Matt. As I know nothing of video, how would this effect me if I bought this camera and would only be using it for recording the odd home video (only because it's there, not being the reason I would buy this camera)? I wouldn't be editing, only watching on my TV (NTSC) or computer? If I ever decided to edit parts out and burn a collection of clips onto a DVD to watch, would that be possible? It sounds like once you start using an editor, it gets quite complicated.