Series filter for 127 mm Kodak lens on Crown Graphic

steven_d._johnson

I need to know more about 'series' type filters. I have a Crown Graphic 4x5 press camera with a Kodak Ektanar

127mm f/32 lens. It seems to measure out at 53mm and I can't find a modern orange or yellow filter to screw onto it.

I was informed by a very experienced individual that it requires a Series filter; not filters made new today (for the

most part). I do have a Kodak Adapter Ring, new in box, from a Bolex H-16 movie camera set-up. The information on

the box indicates that it is a Series VI, diameter 36.5mm. While this doesn't fit my needs, I find the information

relevant to my search. My question also is this: Does the roman numeral designation corellate to mm equivelants?

And what Series filter should I be looking for my 53mm lens?

Steven

It looks as if you need seriesVII or series7 or seriesVII/7 . Three different writings , but they all mean the same .

A seriesVII thread is approx. 54mm . That thread is not common in Europe any more , but you might find some in the U.S.

If a friend of yours has one of these , he might let you try out.

Jurgen

Generally the lenses on the Graphics took a slip-on adapter for series filters.

Measure the OUTSIDE of your lens. Then go to ebay and search on "series filter adapter". There are a couple of folks there who have these available. Get the closest size to that measurement. Make sure it is a 'slip-on' adapter. The end that slips over the lens has fingers so you can adjust +/- .5 mm or so.

The filter size is expressed in Roman Numerals. They do not have threads but fit into the adapter and are held in place with either a ring or a lens hood. Series VI are the easiest to find; Series VII are more difficult; Series VII are even more difficult to find. Again, do a ebay search and you'll see what I mean.

The adapter rings for Series VIII are between 12-1/16" and 2-1/2". My copy of Morgan & Lester pre-dates your camera/lens so I can't give you much more info.

Long ago many lenses had no provisions for screw-in filters. Instead, they often used slip-on filter adaptors that used the series filters that Jurgen mentions. My Kodak Ektar 127mm f:4.7 requires a 1.5 inch or 38mm adaptor ring. This was discussed previously at http://www.photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00KlK7. Old camera stores sometimes have a supply of adaptor rings. They also appear on on-line auction sites.

Look for a Series 7 to 52mm adapter (step-down) ring. The step-down is only a mm or so, and no problem with vignetting. Then you can use standard 52mm filters. That's what I do.

Your measurements are consistent with series 7. There are others as well, the larger the number, the larger the diameter.

Best,

Doremus Scudder