Rangefinder adjustment for Canon 110ED 20

ralf_j.

Hi, to adjust the rangefinder follow these procedures.

1. Use a small flat bladed screwdriver and pop off the TOP section of the focus slider (the part that you touch with your fingertip).

2. With the top popped off, slide the focus control to infinity and you will see a small screw through the hole left by the removal of the focus button. With a small screwdriver, adjust the screw to get correct alignment at infinity.

3. The screw has a touch of lock compount applied at the factory to prevent movement. Use a tiny drop of similar compount to re-lock the screw after adjustment.

4. Click back the focus slider.

You should now have perfect focus. This is important in these cameras as they have fast lenses and 110 film shows up softness caused by missed focus quickly due to the level of enlargement.

In one instance (probably due to impact damage) I could not get correct rangefinder focus at all - even at maximum adjustment. This camera is now a spares donor ;-)

Good luck!

Ian

Is this different from the 110ED? There's a screw in the focusing mechanism that can be accessed via the film compartment on my 110ED. (Unfortunately, the shutter blades started sticking again between my cleanup of my 110ED and the test roll. Kodalux duly printed all the unexposed film as grey sheets of photo paper, and charged me for the prints. What twits!)

Hi John - the 110ED appears to be an older model than the 110ED 20. I opened the film compartment and surely enough saw a little tiny chamber with a single screw on the right and side of film compartment. Is that what you are referring to? Thanks.

To add, my Canon 110ED has the screw in the film compartment (exactly as John says - and it is the screw you see Ralf), but my 110ED20 has the screw under the focus button. Not sure if the changeover occurred with the new model designation or not, but it will be in one of those two places.

Ian

Ian / John - I want to thank you both for your invaluable answers. Now that is day light and I am able to set infinity, I have solved the mystery thanks to both of your inputs:<p>

Ian - there is indeed a screw under the focus button and it is slightly deeper than the first philips screw you initially see. This screw controls the horizontal setting on my 110ED 20. That has been adjusted successfully.<p>

John - the screw inside the film chamber controls the vertical setting, that too has been adjusted successfully, thank you both. I also thank Canon for making easy to access. Regards.

• 15 years later...

I have a Canon 110ED 20 that needs to have its viewfinder cleaned out.  Can anyone help me with how to get into the thing?  Of, maybe, direct me to instructions that detail the procedure to open the camera up.  Thanks.